Rim Job

cactusmcharrisJune 23, 2012

I was given these rectangular sheet metal boxes (they may have been livestock / horse watering troughs), and the truck tire rim turned up from somewhere, so why not fill them up with the countless rocks the earth coughs up or I strike when I'm tilling the ground prior to planting more perennials / roses / bulbs, eh?

When I get about another 5-700 pounds of rock in there I'll feel comfortable filling the crevices in with soil and begin planting it with Sempervivums and other xerophytic plants. It'll be my own succulent berm, with nary a non-cold-hardy succulent to worry my pretty little head about.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Microthrix(9)

I like the rim tire thingy ... but the tittle? Lol

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 2:51PM
xerophyte_nyc(7)

Ha - great thread title!

x

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:13PM
cactusmcharris

Zech,

You're entitled to tittle about the title.

Mark,

Well, if I can't grow Aloe dichotoma in the summertime, when the livin' is easy, I'm pleased to say in six letters what you said in two - the aforewritten 'Ha' (which was my Korean name in elementary Korean school in the Navy).

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:45PM
Microthrix(9)

Wow an extra t who cares -_-

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:51PM
sherryinmaine(5a)

good idea.Like the boxes and tire rim. I got lotsa rocks here too.

I'm thinking about the old old old woodpile outback of my house. . . .filling in w/ rocks and doing 'sumpin' with it. Not sure if it'll be sempervivums, but maybe, maybe . . . (still in the 'inkling' stage)

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 5:05PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Woodpiles good for Hugelkulture... I know off topic. I couldn't help myself when I saw that. It is something I am flirting with doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hugelkulture

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 5:13PM
cactusmcharris

Zech,

I care for correct spelling (and I'm not 100%, but try is best), and given that your first sentence wasn't distinct, maybe you might. Also, given that you're still young, you have more than ample time to improve your spelling. Here endeth the first lesson.

Sherry,

Wow, you got real weather! Woodpile and semps (or not) - you could have iris growing out of the pockets of soil / decomposing wood.

Mara,

I'm going to have to check it out - right now with the shovel balanced on the knee I'm finding it difficult to switch pages.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 5:54PM
sherryinmaine(5a)

Hey Mara,
yep, I been areadin' about hugelculturefor a while.

Was stationed in good old Deutschland for 7 years and saw many folks practicing it, in their front, back and side yards. . . . but I didn't know it was called 'hugelkulture'......They were on to something then, and it was quite a few years ago.

Hey, 'Ha', I spent a little time in Korea as well (army)I dont know yet what I'll plant, but what do you mean I have real weather? Isn't zone 4 colder than zone 5?

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 6:12PM
Microthrix(9)

That hugelkulture is very interesting ... and i just accidently pressed t one more time ... im not illiterate!

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
Al's Gritty Mix
Need help finding Bark Fines and Gritty Mix in Greenville,...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Jade tree pricing
Okay this may sound like a silly question but a Gollum...
Hamza Nobes
Agave - ID & Care
I bought this little plant yesterday - Feb 26. I'd...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™