Growing CP's in Desert climate?

gomelaMay 26, 2007

Hi. I am new to carnivorous plants and would like to grow a few in pots in my home. I live near a lemon grove and we have alot of fruit flies that come in. I think a few CP's would really help. Does anyone know a good species that is grown in a warmer climate? I live in Phoenix. They would be inside and the temp in our house is usually about 75 year round. Thanks in advance.

Gomela

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob123how

The short answer is yes, it can be done. There are other regular posters with far more information, and some, I believe that also live in desert climates, they can better advise you. Look up information on Drosera- the sundew, Pinguicula (sp?) Butterwort, Nepenthes- Tropical pitcher plant. All three are ridiculous fruit fly catching machines and can thrive indoors. Although, they tend to bring fruit fly-like fungus gnats with them, because they thrive in the moist potting medium, so they won't get rid of all of your bugs. But its fun.
Bob

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 2:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Although you live in the Desert SW, growing them inside at 75 F is the main thing to consider, as long as you growing them on a window sill, exposed to the air (open tray method). A lot of plants will do well at the window sill, with their pot sitting in plastic containers of an inch or so of distilled / RO / deionized water. For example, D. spatulata, D. aliciae, D. adelae, D. capensis, D. burmannii. Even though Mexican butterworts are supposed to have a cold and dey winter, they still do well at window sills. Many bladdrworts would love the conditions - U. livida, U. sandersonii, U. bisquamata. Check Photobucket link for pictures of these plants. I can also help ya out in procuring some beginner plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: CP pictures

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
Nepenthes for beginners
Hi, I used to be a member of Garden Web years ago when...
HollowOakFarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™