Vine ID Please?

hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CAJuly 19, 2011

I have this very pretty vine that seems to be deciduous, losing its leaves during the winter. But, during the summer it has the most curious flower. I think the purple "flower" is actually probably a bract, and the true flower is the smaller yellowish part is the true flower. Anyway, it is a very cool vine! Here are a couple of pics of the flower, anyone know what this might be?? Bahia, I bet you know:

Patty S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Dalechampia dioscoriefolia / Bow Tie Vine....

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 10:43PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Thanks, wcgypsy! Awesome. Will go read up on this cute little vine. I just love the flowers, they are so unique.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 10:54PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Love that! You're right about the flowers, Patty -- Sunset describes the blossoms measuring up to 6" across with "tiny yellow flowers appearing between two violet bracts".

I'm looking for a vine to cover one of the posts of our patio. I'm going to add this one to the list.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 1:46PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

This vine, if given enough water, will really fill in quickly. I have not had any skin irritation when handling it, and I have pretty sensitive skin (almost redhead), but worth mentioning since it's in the Euphorbia family. It will also bloom quite prolifically with more water. Very, very cool flower. I thought I had killed it off a couple of times. But now, since I have my blueberries and a blackberry in pots, in front of this fence (which screens my trash cans as you can kind of see if the background), it's getting much more water via the water draining out of the holes of the pots. It is much, much happier!

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™