Repotted VFT - Growing, but flower died

jay_whyMay 30, 2006

So my VFT that I got from h0me d3pot, after going through a winter dormancy in its little pot/dome, I acclimated to less humidity and repotted without a dome. (2:1 perlite:sphagnum peat moss mix)

My little plant had started to grow nicely, and even sprouted the flower `stalk` while in the dome. Like I expected, my plant was actually 3 (bulbs) now, but I repotted them all together in their new pot. I've been keeping water in the small dish under the pot (needs refilling daily) and started off misting the plant everyday, and now just do it occasionally.

It's been about 3 weeks, and the plant(s) are putting off new traps like crazy! I check in the morning and at night, and can always see definate growth. (I really need to get a timelapse video setup going.)

So - its doing well, BUT, the flower stalk that was small and just starting to open (showing small buds inside)has now gone brown up at the top, obviously dead.

I'm assuming the flower died due to the late repotting (weeks after the plant had come out of dormancy.) Like I said, the plant(s) are doing great so I'm not worried - but I wanted to give an update and see if anyone had feedback. Seen this before? Should I leave the green part of the flower stalk, which is about 5" tall, or should I trim it close to the base?

I'm also really curious about how much sun to give my plant. I've read give them full sun, but I'm a bit inland from the coast and we get some scorching hot sun when summer comes on full. The only plants that have survived well in the full sun where I'm at are cactus/succulents. I've got the plant under a umbrella so it gets slightly shaded sun - never full-on sunlight, but consistant through the day. I want nice red traps, but I'm afraid the sun gets to intense where I'm at.

Any input is appreciated!

- Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nametakken

ill find out soon if ive got the same problem...ive got 3 that i got form lowe's and i didnt aclimate them like i should of but there doing fine. i live in south western virginia so i get about the right ammount of sun. its 92 degrees here right now and has been near the for the last few days, ive just got them sitting out in the yard in a tubawere or what ever you call them with bout 3" of water in it and there doing fine, there nice and red and the only thing that could be wrong with them is some of the traps are catching bugs that are to big and gitting black spots in the traps

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 5:46PM
back2eight(South MS)

as for the sun, give it full morning sun and then perhaps partial shade the rest of the day. Maybe that would be good.

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 6:40PM
fly_traper

you need to slowly ajust it to full sun

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 3:54PM
sarraceniahunter(8b)

I reckon I would probably trim that stalk to. If the flower has died anyway, it's serving no purpose. Cut it as close to the base as you can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Bogs (The Natural Alternative)

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
peat/sand mix
This might seem like a silly question, just starting...
johnmathieson23
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™