Cat ID please...

rsingley(z6a NJ)September 12, 2010

I finally have a host plant with some cats, but it's so late in the season. I added 2 parsley plants to my garden and within a week or two had these little guys. Can anyone ID them for me? If it helps, I've recently seen gulf fritillary's, Tiger Swallowtails, pipevine swallowtails, either black or spicebush swallowtails, a red-spotted purple, a buckeye, and a few monarchs. Yes, after a slow start, it's been a good end to the summer.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

It's probably a black swallowtail.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 6:46PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

An early instar black swallowtail for sure.
Sherry

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 7:24PM
rsingley(z6a NJ)

Thanks... perfect choice for our first cat raising... My boys are going to get a kick out of this.

BTW, I suppose I can just buy parsley at the supermarket when they defoliate the 2 plants right?

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 8:47PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

I wish that was the case, but some parsley at the grocery store may not be safe for them. Would you believe that instead of nice little caterpillars that some farmers use even organic pesticides to rid their plants of these little guys.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 10:00PM
rsingley(z6a NJ)

Hadn't really thought of that... Guess I better start buying up all I can find. I have 10 or so babies to feed.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 10:06PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

If you have an organic market, that would be your best bet, over those sold at the regular supermarkets. I always thought they didn't use pesticides on herbs, though, but that doesn't stop me from washing them thoroughly before I use them. I just notice that the parsley, dill, and fennel plants sold in the herb sections at nurseries often are sold "with caterpillars" already munching away on them and I assume these are safe.

Congrats on your caterpillars!

Susan

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 8:09AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Bt-k, the biological pesticide that has been used to control caterpillars for generations, is approved for organic gardeners and farmers. It would not be at all unusual that even organic growers of these herbs use Bt.

Wash and triple rinse anything that you plan on feeding captive cats 'just in case'. Bt strains occur in nature, too.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™