Which annuals do you plant?
I was reading about nasturtiums in the thread by Jenn. I plant them every year- I love the apricot and peach colored ones best. There are a few other annuals that I cannot live without. Are there any annuals you cannot live without? Why? List your top ten.
1. Larkspur, Giant Imperial. Height! no pests, lovely colors. Spiky flowers are my favorites. Great cut flowers.
2. Nasturtiums Creamsicle and Apricot Trifle. The colors are wonderful and they reseed. Such a long bloom period this year- I just pulled the last ones out.
3. Paludosum daisies. I weed out the ones I don't want- they are such sweet little things, and fill in the blank spots all by themselves.
4. Red flax. I actually prefer the white, called "Bright Eyes."
5. Papaver somniferum- I like the Peony poppies especially.
6. Violas. They bloom forever. I buy pony packs.
7. Iceland poppies, also pony pack purchases, but last year I saved and sowed seed and the seedlings are growing.
For summer, I have three more:
8. Cosmos, especially Bright Lights and Orange.
9. Amaranth, especially the lime green. It's so tall and lovely, and it's great in arrangements.
- Vinca. They reseed, and the ones from seed are sturdier than the nursery pony packs.