jade cuttings getting moldy in gritty mix
For about 3 months I have been trying to root some jade cuttings in the gritty mix but keep getting mold at the cut end. I have 5 cuttings ranging from 2 1/2" to 6" tall with stems no wider than a 1/4". The cuttings were set out to dry for about 2 to 3 weeks then potted in the gritty mix in a clean clay pot. It sits in a bright covered balcony where it never gets rained on. My mix consists of equal parts sifted Aquatic Plant Soil, rinsed Gran-i-Grit grower size, and Repti Bark brand fir bark. When I plant cuttings, I do not water till I see roots. But whenever I check the stems for roots (about 2 weeks after potting), I always see grey fuzzy mold so I start the rooting process over again, cutting off moldy stem, drying and potting. I have done this 3 times and am afraid the cuttings are losing too much moisture and will never root. Is it possible that my mix is contaminated in some way? Can the mix be too wet just from the rinsed grit? I have never had anything get moldy on me before. And before I knew about the gritty mix, I always used MG houseplant soil and was fairly successful at rooting jades using the same method.