Plants Along Highways

traveler_oneAugust 23, 2007

Hello. When driving east of San Francisco in late June, I noticed most highways were had large red, pink, and white flowering bushes in the center median. Does anyone know what these plants are?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Oleander.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 1:47AM
bearstate(9A)

Besides Ice Plant for Ground Cover, those pink shrubs, Oleanders, are Cal Trans favorite Highway decorum.

Oleanders are ubiquitous in California.

You'd think someone in Cal Trans could use a little imagination and plant a palm tree or something!

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 1:49AM
buddyben(z9 CA/Sunset 20)

I like the oleanders. Dependable. Low maintenance. Tolerates smog and pollution.
You hit a pet peeve of mine regarding palm trees! I am sick of palm trees. Every new house or apartment around here plants nothing but palm trees. Commercial projects love them because they are so skinny that they don't interfere with the buildings, yet fulfill the requirement for landscaping. Palm trees offer no shade, they harbor rodents, and most of them are not even native to this state.
My favorite (not) thing is the way people around here are planting this palm tree bush thing smack in the middle of their lawns. No other landscaping really, just the palm tree bush in the middle of the lawn. Very odd. Very ugly. It is like they don't know what to do with a lawn.
Just my opinion!

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 4:47AM
kelpmermaid(10S24)

One would think Cal Trans would be planting more natives. Rather than plumbago, why not a ceaonthus? (Gets down from soapbox.)

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 11:21AM
youreit

We had a lot of the oleanders die, or just look terrible, along I-5 up here in the "north", probably from the glassy-winged sharpshooter spreading that disease (Pierce's disease?). I noticed there seem to be more bottlebrushes now, which I also like.

Brenda

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 11:40AM
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

In the Bay Area we get ceanothus and redbuds on some medians, which are nice flowering native plants. We get oleander too though. It really is a perfect plant for the situation.
With the state budget imbroglio, I don't think CalTrans is getting any money to vary or upgrade the landscaping anytime soon.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 12:19PM
bearstate(9A)

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago when they finished a freeway extension in the SanJose Area running from Cupertino down toward the 101 going South, they really did a fine job of landscaping with flowers, creating floral designs, etc.

Problem was that all the rubber neckers and lookie lous raised the accident rate so high that the freeway was about to become useless and they had to tear all the flowers out.

I like the native plant idea though.

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 1:19PM
ninjabut(USDA z 8,CA)

Oleander is very poisonous!

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 8:25PM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

The Oleanders down the middle of I5 are bushy enough to help keep the headlights from approching cars from shining in our eyes when we drive the freeway at night. They seem to thrive on neglect plus they are pretty. It's over 100 up here right now and the Oleanders arn't wilting. That's one tough bush!
Donna in hot Orland

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 9:54PM
CA Kate

The Oleanders down the center of 99 are quite attractive........ until someone decides to "prune" them (read hack them up with some machine,) then they look cr@ppy. Poor things.

Around here they seem to be using more natives.... AND.... ground roses!

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 7:45PM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

Brenda,

The gwss hasn't yet made it north of Kern county.

ninjabut,

Oleander is toxic, but if you are close enough to the ones in the freeway median to eat the leaves, I can think of more immediate health risks :-).

Ryan

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 10:19PM
youreit

Ryan, actually, according to the site below, it's made it as far north as Sacramento Co., with many other counties being at risk for the spread of Pierce's disease. However, something else must have killed my folks' oleanders up in Shasta Co. :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: UCR GWSS resources

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 10:11AM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

Wow Brenda,

Thanks for the link, looks like the website I referenced is a bit out of date.

Ryan

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 2:25AM
JFlower

Hi,

I'm new to California (originally from PA) and I would really like to know a few of the native plants that could be planted along California's highways. Mostly round San Francisco and LA. If anyone knows I'm very interested to hear more beautiful facts about Cali.

Thanks

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:27AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

There are many, many California natives used for landscaping along freeways here. Coast Redwoods are ubiquitous, Pinus radiata, contorta and Cupressus macrocarpa are also used here in the Bay Area. Large native shrubs incude various Arctostaphylos, Ceanothus, Fremontodendron, Heteromeles arbutifolia are also fairly common. More California natives aren't used because many such as species Arctostaphylos and Ceanothus are not particularly long lived or smog resistant, or highly adaptable across multiple microclimates. There are plenty more large shrub/small tree species that could be used, such as Cercis, Calycanthus, Myrica, etc.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:48PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

I have seen Caltrans moving from Oleanders to Bottlebrush in some of the new segments of HWY 99. Also, I think the variety of plants depends on which CalTrans office is the one doing the landscaping. Central CA projects, specifically around Fresno and Visalia, have Ceanothus, Cercis and Valley Oak along with deer grass and non-natives like bottlebrush and acacia trees. Older projects mainly have oleanders, bottlebrush, eucalyptus and ice plant.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:22AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I miss the oleanders. Sniff.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:22PM
aquilachrysaetos

I had a gorgeous mature oleander hedge along the north fenceline of my back yard (I live on a corner). It was killed by the oleander leaf scorch disease ( I guess that`s the one they're calling Pierce`s now). It was a pain pulling out the dead bushes. That was years ago and now the plantain have put in its place are just now getting large enough to provide some privacy. The only plants that have done particularly well there are cape honeysuckle, Lady Banks rose and California rose. Everything else sulks or dies.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:23PM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

I was told that oleanders have no use to nature- nothing dares to eat it, birds don't nest in it. The only thing I ever saw on ours was a row of lacewing eggs on one leaf.
When we removed that oleander we had to use our Chevy Suburban to pull it out. Amazing roots! Min

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Where in Southern CA can I buy a bag of Dried Calimyrna figs?
My closest stupid town has one supermarket chain and...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Help! Acacia invaded by caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Hayward Papaya.
You could knock me over with a feather. In the bay...
stanofh
Need Giant Whitefly Locations in SoCal (Researcher)
Hello I am an Entomology Ph.D. student in need of some...
nebulusx
Sponsored Products
Dream Form Fresh 2-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Overstock.com
Red Carpet Studios Birdhouse Doorknob - 45283
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Christopher Knight Home 6-foot Variegated Ficus Executive
Overstock.com
Arro Basso Planter by Pad Outdoor
$152.00 | Lumens
David Trubridge Design | Flax Pendant Light - Stained
YLighting