WANTED: Hibiscus with large velvety leaves

brenda_near_eno(Z7a)September 27, 2006

Does anyone have seed to share of the large hardy hibiscus with the silvery, velvety leaves? I don't know what it's called, velvet mallow? confederate rose? I have seeds of gorgeous red Hibiscus coccineus to trade. I'll work on my seed trade page today with a list of what else you might like. It's almost time for winter sowing to start!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

Brenda I think what you're looking for is Hibiscus grandiflorus. Sorry I don't have any seeds (for some reason I am having difficulty growing it here), but the Botanical Garden often has H. grandiflorus on their seed list.

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 10:09PM
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

Brenda, mine is blooming now, so I'll probably have seed next month. You're welcome to it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 10:27PM
quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)

My Confederate Rose Hibiscus fits your description, and they come in a few colors. I grew one from seed, it's the double pink variety. I have some seeds left if you'd like some. In 2 years it has grown to over 8 ft. I believe that Marsh Mallow also fits your description, but I do not have seeds or currently grow it. Robin outside W-S, NC

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 8:58AM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Anyone have Confederate Rose seeds to share yet? I have seeds in trade on my page if interested.

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 5:57AM
dirtrx(z7nc)

No seeds but I have a plant. I already have it in two places and the third is not in a sunny spot so needs to go. Not sure of the color. The seeds were just marked as "confederate hibiscus". The others I transplanted without care. They sulked but seem to have adjusted. I can bring it to the seed swap or save it until the spring but you have to remind me that I need to bring it. I also have 2 ROS which will need a home ASAP. I got two double pink ROS from the Greensboro swap so the white must go. ( My neighbor's tree gives me volunteers every year.)Shannon/Dirtrx

Bookmark   November 4, 2006 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Dixie Regional Hosta Meeting May 2014
FYI If you are interested, I can send you the email...
plantbug
wanted: plant swap in greenville, sc
We would love to host a Plant Swap in Greenville SC...
tbug
HAVE: Have - Plant Sale May 24th
I'll be having a plant sale this Saturday, May 24th....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
WANTED: Red Cascading Rose - Raleigh Plant Swap
Hello, Does anyone have a red cascading rose that will...
jdbheartsease
HAVE: Plant Sale & Swap
I am having my Spring plant sale later this week on...
Ralph Whisnant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™