plant ID and separation

Desert_RosinJune 30, 2012

Hi all - my roommate has this succulent plant and I am not sure what it is, but I found that it has these little baby off-shoots that I would like to try to separate and put into their own pots... can anyone help me ID this plant, and give me pointers on how to separate the babies? they seem to be coming right off of the main stem of the plant, and so I am not sure if they have their own roots really...

Thanks!

L

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is an Echeveria. Not sure on the type. It could be a Echeveria runyonii but there are a lot of E runyonnii forms and a lot of other Echeverias that look similar.

separating is easy. I cut them off. Sometimes if I pull them off the larger ones come off with a bit of root. I usually put them in a small pot of just rocks and I water or mist them. The rocks do not hold water but they create a moist atmosphere. I do this till there are a BUNCH of pink roots. Than I plant them in a a pot with a well drained mix.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 5:09PM
Desert_Rosin

So I can just cut the babies at the trunk of the mother, and even though they have no roots, they will re-root? I know many succulents have this ability, just wasn't sure if this was one of them...

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 6:04PM
Microthrix(9)

All of the succulents i know of (maybe there is a few that dont, but i have never heard of any) reroot from cuttings. Echeveria in my experience is incredibly easy to reroot ... i took some leafs from and echeveria and stuck them in a corner and forgot about them, they sent out masses of roots and had plants growing out ... their roots traveled about 4 inches to a pile of dirt and grew into it, it was funny :D i wish i had taken a pic though...

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 6:49PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

I believe it is Echeveria secunda (previously E. glauca).

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 5:57PM
cactusmcharris

And yes, you can remove the pups and reroot them (easy) but I'd wait until The Pups were bigger - a larger plant is easier to reroot. Besides, the heat of summer is not the best time to root Crassulaceae (the Family your Echeveria is in), but it can be done.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Some cactus like water
Who says you can't water cactus every day? This cactus...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This was growing along with cactus it has red ripe...
maufie123
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™