orange trees

swallowtail_growerAugust 11, 2009

Hello, I have to small orange trees, that have their leaves are turning yellow, I water at least every other day. It`s very warm here about 98 every day zone 9, they are both dwarf trees. Could someone help me? Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

Citrus are BIG feeders. They need citrus fertilizer and a bucketful of properly diluted liquid Ironrite. Both can be purchased at your local nursery supply store, OSH, or even Big Box Stores.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 12:54PM
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

Nutrient deficiencies show up as patterened yellowing in most leaves. Some nutrient deficiencies show up in older leaves, some in younger leaves. But when there is a nutrient deficiency in citrus, the yellowing is throughout the tree.

Overwatering, on the other hand, shows up, first, as yellowing of older and lower leaves.

Every other day is too much water for citrus. Unless your citrus were planted within the last month, every other day will lead to watering problems, including yellowing leaves.

Hot temps combined with a saturated, anaerobic soil is the perfect combination for root rots (which first show up with yellowing leaves as symptoms).

Many more plants die from too much water than too little water.

Joe

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 1:48PM
mlevie

I can't say whether you're over- or underwatering without knowing where in California you live, but westelle is right about citrus needing to be fed frequently.

Alkaline soils prevent citrus from absorbing the iron in the soil and that can lead to chlorosis even if you fertilize properly. That would show up as yellowing leaves as well. So you may need to look at amending the soil to lower the pH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chlorosis in citrus

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
New exciting Mediterranean Gardening and Outdoor Living Magazine
For advice from professionals look at our magazine...
Justin Wride
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™