I don't think my venus fly trap is a venus fly trap

baigersJune 1, 2013

Hi,

I'm just new to this and was given a "venus fly trap" to grow in one of those cheap gift sets.
Now I've put it all together and these bad boys have been growing for probably over a month. I can't see any sign of a carnivorous head on it and also it looks about as far away from a venus when I compare it to any videos or pics online.

Can anyone let me know if it is one, alternatively can you tell me if, like I think, it isn't?

Thanks,
Baigers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

No, it's NOT a Venus flytrap. Not sure what it is but it's not a Flytrap that's for sure.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 2:08PM
hatter101

I have been growing the exact same plant for over 4 months waiting to see a fly trap develop. Like you I'm also new to them and found this forum when I started to question the plants true identity.

Did you have any luck finding out what plant it is? Mine looks exactly the same as yours, even only got 3 plants from the seven seeds. Pot looks the same to. I'm guessing someone is selling these dodgy venus fly traps worldwide.
Bit of a shame really as I was getting a little enjoyment out of it. Be nice to at least know what I'm growing now.

Nige

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 4:23PM
hatter101

Here's a picture of the kit I bought, was yours the same

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 4:33PM
tommyr_gw

Flytraps make traps literally within a week or 2 of sprouting. They are MINI but functional. FYI.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 5:13PM
Ellice

Most definitely NOT a VFT. I think you've got some kind of herb (maybe pineapple sage???) Did you end up with little red flowers? I want to try my hand at growing VFTs as well and have been reading up on how to germinate and grow these fascinating plants. Here's a link I found very helpful about how to grow these guys. I just ordered some seeds on eBay, so we'll have to wait and see what comes up. BTW, you should be able to find photos of actual VFT seedlings online. They look just like mini VFT.

Here is a link that might be useful: Venus Flytrap Info

Bookmark   September 26, 2014 at 10:25AM
DavidL.ca

0.0 This is sad but borderline hilarious.... Sorry to break it to you but that is definitely NOT a venus flytrap! As others have already mentioned, the plants grow out tiny traps in early stages of growth, and you should be able to say "hey there little flytrap" within weeks! You should definitely try to get reimbursement of some sort, that's such terrible thing to do to customers!

Bookmark   September 30, 2014 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™