Seeking plant suggestions

peachymomo(Ca 8)August 7, 2014

I'm back in search of more plant wisdom ;o)

I have decided that a small tree (or large shrub in standard form) would be better at the end of my spiral garden than the rose I currently have planted there. I was hoping for something that would grow to about 20' or 25' max, have a pretty form, and preferably some kind of bloom. I was thinking maybe a dogwood or standard rhododendron, but I'm not confidant in my choices. It will have irrigation, the spiral garden is one spot that I decided could be a bit thirstier than most of the landscape.

I have a shade tolerant hybrid musk rose in the spot right now, it gets some morning and late afternoon sun but shade for most of the day. Depending on the time of year it will get about 2 to 4 hours of direct sun per day. You can see in the pictures that there is enough sun for nasturtiums and Shasta Daisies to bloom. The rose is doing okay, blooms are sparse but the foliage is healthy and disease free. Having lived with the current arrangement for a year it suddenly occurred to me that a small tree would put some foliage between us and our neighbors in a critical spot.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean, the rose is planted behind the Shasta Daisy.

And a closer view, this one's taken from where we usually sit on our deck to enjoy the view.

What would you do, if this was your garden?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

I love the idea of a Dogwood, I love how the flowers sit on the tree. There are some gorgeous Dogwood cultivars with both white flowers or or red flowers. They do well with some shade, and need moderate amounts of water (you can always drip the tree to make sure it's getting the right amount of water). Love that idea, I think Dogwoods are ethereal in their habit and shape.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 1:20PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

didn't see the shade part.

This post was edited by hoovb on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 14:45

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 9:40PM
princesspea(sunset14)

If you go for a dogwood, I advise trying to shop in the fall so you can evaluate leaf color- I had some in a former garden and the fall color was variable- the best ones were an amazing color, worth seeking out.
Wishing I had enough shade for a dogwood here!
Pea

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:01AM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

Thanks everyone!

I love the idea of a dogwood, partly because one of my neighbors has a large white flowering selection and I always admire it in the spring.

I've been looking into different types, I like some features of Cornus nuttallii but am a bit worried about the whole 'notoriously challenging in cultivation' thing. Eddie's White Wonder, a cross between Cornus nuttallii and florida, looks particularly attractive. I think I might go with one of those, unless I get warned off by someone with greater experience.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:39AM

What about 'Cherokee Chief'? It is really beautiful, and would give you a nice pop of color.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monvrovia: Cherokee Chief Dogwood

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:46AM

duplicate post.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 0:03

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 11:18AM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

Cherokee Chief is very pretty, but I have a white clematis and lavender trumpet vines in the area already, so I feel like white is the safest way to go. In addition I've been jealously admiring my neighbors' white dogwood for years, so I'd love to have my own.

Thanks though!

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™