WANTED: Over wintering Tropicals

tophersmithOctober 9, 2007

I have several different types of Bannanas Colocasia and Alocasia anyone have any luck leaving these in the ground and covering them with mulch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)

Hey Chris, EE's - black stem/fontanesii, chicago harlequin, portadora, illustris have all wintered fine for me even without mulch. Black Magic has yet to survive our 7a winter even with a heavy mulch. However you're a 1/2 a zone warmer than me so BM may do fine for you. Colocasia in most cases (but not all) tend to be hardier than Alocasia. They can handle the cold just not the 'wet' cold.

The only banana I've wintered in the ground has been the chinese/lotus bloom and it is super hardy. This will be my first year trying basjoo in ground but from what I've read it should do fine. I will have backups just in case. Those will be stored under the house or in an unheated detached building. The Basjoos have done fine there previous winters and so did the cuculatta EE.

If you go to the main Carolina 'Discussion' board and do a search on both elephant ears and bananas you should find some good discussions on which EE's and Bananas do well and how some people winter them.

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Have - Plant Sale May 24th
I'll be having a plant sale this Saturday, May 24th....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
WANTED: plant swap
I also have to share: Money trees,red bud trees and...
elsiefay
WANTED: Red Cascading Rose - Raleigh Plant Swap
Hello, Does anyone have a red cascading rose that will...
jdbheartsease
HAVE: Any interest in a Charlotte plant swap on Sun, Oct 20??
If a few people are available, I'll book the picnic...
laineyplantgrower
HAVE: Plant Sale & Swap
I am having my Spring plant sale later this week on...
Ralph Whisnant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™