Excessive Butterwort Flowering?

jay_bJune 16, 2006

I have a Pinguicula primuliflora and I am constantly fighting against rot. The leaves die very quickly, turning brown at the ends shortly after they form. Thus, the plant has compacted in size considerably. The strange thing is, it is flowering constantly. It just sends flower after flower. Currently it has six flower stalks and I can see another bud forming in the center of the rosette.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is occuring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joeb004(z3/4 MN)

I got a primuliflora for the first time this spring, and it too flowers like crazy. It could just be thats what these particular pings do. Given my experince, I would lean towards that explanation.

A second suggestetion might be survival mechanism. If the plant itself is going down, flowering is one way for it to try an ensure species survival. However mine is also producing plantlets like crazy off of the old leaves.

I would be more concerned with why the plant is so unhappy, which I'm sure you are. Mine resides in the corner of my terrarium. The corners get the least amount of light, but it is the back corner (which is the brightest corner spot). I rigged up a computer fan for air movement in the terraruim. Humidity averages about 75-80% with temps of probably 68-85F. If you go back to my "How I made my Terrarium" post, you can see my setup. It seems to be working. This is the same setup as I outlined, but I only have the single 65W CF over the tank that my Primuliflora is in.

Good luck!
Joe

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 11:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

My very first primuliflora flowered 8X before giving it a rest. I just kept its pot in a plastic container of deionized water, by a SW window sill. I filled the container ~once a week, varying the water level. It did very well until I put it outside and it got aphids. I think the air circulation and the decent lighting were key to mold prevention. They do very well as window sill plants.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
Sponsored Products
Steam Spa Indulgence Package for Steam Spa 10.5kW Steam Generators in Brushed Ni
Beyond Stores
Defiant Flood Lights 270 Degree Outdoor White Doppler Motion Activated LED
Home Depot
Area Rug: Home & Porch Whitemarsh Azure 7' 6" x 9'
Home Depot
Area Rug: Home & Porch Chatham County Mocha 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Home and Porch Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$228.65 | Bellacor
Campania International Classic Lion Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-405-AL
$514.99 | Hayneedle
Design House 31W x 19D in. Cultured Marble Integral Sink Vanity Top - 551069