When is best time to move mature Pindo Palms in desert

Stawamus(9)August 2, 2014

I have two mature Pindo Palms on a property which I recently purchased in the desert. (Coachella Valley - Palm Springs area).

I would like to relocate them to other locations on the property.

In researching when would be best time of year to move them, i was surprised to read in the Coachella Valley Water District landscape guide that it is recommended that Palms be moved in Summer ( I had previously thought any relocations should be done in fall).

We are in peak of summer now (highs 110-115 / lows 85).

Do others have experience with moving Pindo Palms and know whether or not a summer move is a safe plan for moving mature Pindos?

Thank you for any info you may be able to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Coachella Valley Water District Lush Book on desert gardening

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Boy, I cannot imagine transplanting even the very tough Pindo palm in the dead heat of the Cochella Valley summer. I would think spring or early summer would be a better choice. I would contact a good quality palm tree grower, and ask their opinion. I am not familiar with an palm growers out your way, but here in San Diego county, one of the biggest and most knowledgeable palm growers is Jungle Music Palms in Encinitas. Here is their link, and I would contact them to ask: http://www.junglemusic.net . Also, a link below about transplanting palms, in general.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplanting Palms

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
New exciting Mediterranean Gardening and Outdoor Living Magazine
For advice from professionals look at our magazine...
Justin Wride
Grow muscat grapes in Bay Area
Hi, I want to grow muscat grapes for eating. Could...
bike2work
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Have you he@rd of SLOLA?
Great time at seed library meeting in Los Angeles....
Wild Haired Mavens
Hayward Papaya.
You could knock me over with a feather. In the bay...
stanofh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™