Steam Distilled Water

kenzola863June 30, 2010

I was looking on ebay at those personal steamed water distillers and was wondering if that will do the job at cleaning the water for my plants? I do not have to many plants and something small like this would produce enough water for me but i don't know if that is what I need to produce "clean" water.

Regards, Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Don't waste your money on that. Collect rain water and in the meantime buy a gallon or 2 of distilled water. It's cheap enough.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 5:57PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I only use 25-30 gallons the whole season which comes to $25-$30. That's over 10 years worth of water for the price of those and that's not counting the electricity. And I doubt that machine will last 10 years.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 10:42PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Or go to Walmart and buy a gallon at a time, for like 86 cents.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 10:46AM
kenzola863

Really? I have already gone through about 6 gallons already. Do you fill up trays with the water or do you top water your plants everyday? Are yours outdoors too? I find my tray dry up quick on a real hot day. How do you minimize the evaporation? I got about 4 trays worth.
-Regards, Ken

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 10:50AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I fill trays. I also catch rain water. That estimate is only what I have to buy. Plants are outside except Neps.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 1:09PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

I pour water through the pots as well is in the tray. It depends upon the plants. On rainless days I just pour water through the pots of VFT's SArracenias,& Darlingtonia.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 9:42AM
kenzola863

how do you guys go about catching rainwater? I have heard/ read that using your roof can add minerals to the rain water. I know for a fact that I do not have mold killer on my roof so that wouldnt be a problem. I just don't think sticking a bucket out in the open would yield that much water without using a roof to capture it. Does having metal spouts really add alot of minerals to the water?

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 12:08PM
tommyr_gw

I get it off my roof. It goes into a 30 gallon plastic garbage can. I also collect it in 5 gallon buckets off the roof. Don't worry about quality, it's fine and the roof and spouts don't add anything. Rainwater is far better for all plants.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 5:18PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

I let it rain and rinse the roof off before I put my buckets out. I have killed a sarracenia from catching first rains. The water had a brown tint to it. Probably fluorocarbons from exhaust emissions. This used to be the highway though until they built a new road. Traffic is much further away now.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 3:21AM
More Discussions
Mold... *Sigh*
Well, I screwed up. I didn't cover up the plants dormant...
David146
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Advice on Venus Fly Trap care
Hello everyone, I just recently I bought a venus fly...
fuzzywolf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™