Live in zone 5....what would survive?

missa(z5MA)June 11, 2007

Hi there.

I live in zone 5 in MA. and I wanted to make a bog. I know about the spagnum and sand and peat ratio ect. I have had some Cps before but i havent quite has so much sucess having them come back the following year. I love pitcher plants! I have has sarracenia Purpurea, S. White top and S. Flava. at whick i have heard they are more hardy and can tolerate cooler zones. I have only had a white top come back but barely and nevere really did much of anything but just exhist...barely. So ide like suggestions from people for plants that can live in my zone 5. I have has some spatulata sundews that are supposed to be native here and they have never come back for me....sigh. Have a wonderful day! Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh.....where is a good source to find the cps i could try? Thank you! Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mutant_hybrid(8)

Hi missa,

The Northern Purple Pitcher Plant and Drosera rotundifolia both grow naturally in zone 5 weather.

I am not sure of a Drosera spatulata that grows in zone 5, all of the one's I have seen come from Japan, Australia, or or New Zealand and tend to be semi-tropicals that do not go dormant and can barely survive temperatures down to about 35-40 lowest. Grow them indoors all year round.

You could grow most Sarracenias in a mini-bog in your climate, however, the ones that are from zones 6-8 would need extra protection like mulching and bags over them when the temperature drops too cold.

You could try the site cobraplant.com as both a nursery source and an information source as they have care sheets on many carnivorous plants suited for various zones.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 6:07PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

You mat want to check out a local Lowes for a variety of sundews, VFT's, cobra lily, a temperate butterwort, and some American pitcher plants. Or.... you can go the online store route.... or.... you can find a willing hobbyist to share some plants, with just the cost of shipping($4.60). D. spatulata is an Asian tropical sundew and would only be good outside for 4-5 months. But they grow great on window sills.

D. intermedia, binata, rotundifolia, and filiformis grow well outside in bogs, but may be too cold to keep outside in Massachusetts for the winter. I tote mine to sunny window sill in my attic.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 8:29PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Hey... aren't you the one with the fussy Bettas?

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
sarracenia with dry tips
Hi there! I have some trouble with my pitcher plant....
dwaldau
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
Sponsored Products
SoHo Nine-Light Chandelier in Hammered Ore with Brown Tint Ice Glass
Bellacor
Soho Area Rug in Brown & Blue - 3'6" x 5'6"
Grandin Road
Brown Trago Fabric Sectional - Left Chaise
Zuri Furniture
Political 5-in. Desktop Globe - EDU-36920
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Frozen 'Sisters Forever' Trio Gift Set
$19.99 | zulily