Water Quality

kenzola863June 17, 2010

Hey guys I have been growing Venus Fly traps for a couple of month now. They are all grown outside in full sun and watered with distilled water and tap water. I noticed a couple of them having a yellow tint more than a green. My tap water is very low in hardness (about 40ppm) but I know they add chlorine additives and not gas to our water. Obviously chlorine is just as harmful as hardy water but my question is can I use aquirum dechlorinator to remove the chlorine from my tap water? Or should I put the water through a carbon filter? I also have access to well water but do not know the hardness of it. I have all of my traps in a tray of water which I tend to put tap water and I top water distilled water once a week.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

If chlorine is your only concern then I would just let the water set out for a couple days or boil it so that the chlorine evaporates. I would not use aquarium products on my plants.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 12:36PM
tommyr_gw

I would not use tap water at all, unless it comes from a well. There is too much crap in tap water to kill the plant. Chlorine or Chloramines and other natural stuff.

Start collecting rainwater. Distilled water is fine though.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 4:24PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Tommy did you miss the part about 40ppm?

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 7:49PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

The one thing that bothers me about ppm is that it doesn't tell you what the 'parts' are. I would stop using the tap water and go with a combination of collected rainwater, preferably in plastic totes, and distilled water.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 9:49AM
kenzola863

Thanks guys for the advice, I am definitly going to start using more distilled and rain water, but also am going to check up on my well water. It isnt being used for anything so I might as well check the hardness of it and possibily use that when I am in a bind.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
sarracenia with dry tips
Hi there! I have some trouble with my pitcher plant....
dwaldau
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
Horrible Experience with Mail Order
I ordered two plants from someone with a great website....
treehugger101
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™