Flytrap leaf dies after feeding

DavidL.caJune 11, 2014

Hi all, I'm quite new for the carnivorous plants world, just got one of those tiny flytrap (1.5 inch) from local nursery the other day, it was in great shape though, only 1-2 little black leaves other than that it was quite healthy-looking when I got it, and it still is.
But one of the leaves after I feed it a spider, it closed the trap and sealed the next day, but around the 5th day it just started to have a black spot at one side of the leaf, and slowly the spot just got worse and now the leaf pretty much looks dead. Any idea why this happened? Did the spider do something evil inside xD? Because my other leaf did just fine after eating the same kind of spider... it opened back up already.

Would appreciate your input, thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Photo Synthesis

Don't concern yourself too much by this. It happens every now and then. I had that happen to one of my plant's traps not too long ago. Plenty more new traps will grow and take its place.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. One important piece of advice to start with is *don't* use tap water when watering these plants. Use only distilled or rainwater. I just had to share that, if you didn't already know. Well, enjoy your new flytrap. Even after all these years of growing mine, I still find them to be just as fascinating. :)

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 8:05PM
DavidL.ca

Thank you! I just cut that black leaf off, was worried that my plant was sick that's all, but yea other than that it's growing nicely with new leaves every other day! Doing quite well for such a tiny pot... worried about how I'm going to repot it though.

And yes, I have been watering with distilled water every day :)

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 12:59AM
KittieKAT

There pretty easy to repot, Just make sure its peat and perlite with NoOoOooOoo added nutrients or fertilizers witch is sometimes tricky to find. But as for the actual move of the plant the roots grow straight down usually one long or multiple long one's they like deep pots more root room.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 12:36AM
tommyr_gw

They need to re-potted when coming out of winter dormancy. So wait. Slowly adjust it to full Sun a little each day.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 12:43PM
DavidL.ca

Thanks! The winter here goes from November all the way to nearly March. So during this time I should leave it in the fridge with a zip bag? How cold does it have to be? And obviously during this time no water or care needed for the plant at all, right?

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:13AM
tommyr_gw

Right. Leave it in the zip lock bag. Lightly spray it with a SULPHUR based fungicide first. Let the excess water drain out before zip locking it up. Fridges are typically 40 degrees F. which is PERFECT.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:17PM
DavidL.ca

Thanks, will do so once our winter starts. I don't own any fungicide though... and not sure where to acquire them.

Here's my flytrap btw, when I first got it:

And after two months:

I feel like they're growing out of their pots already, but I guess I'll have to hold the idea of repotting till next spring.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™