New to Carnivores!

alavalJune 25, 2012

Hello

I'm purchasing some Rainbow Plant, European Butterwort, and Corkscrew Plant seeds. (I'm very excited, I've never had carnivorous plants before!!) I plan to start them in an indoor greenhouse, then put them with my orchids who are suffering from a fungus gnat invasion.

I've read a lot about putting them in a terrarium, but that would defeat the purpose. Would a humidity tray suffice? Can anybody give tips for these little guys?

Thanks in advance,

Amber.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RainforestGuy

Amber it sounds like you're giving your plants too much humidity or they are too wet. While many cp's like high humidity, I find giving them good air circulation is also beneficial.
Keeping the potted plants in a tray with live moss can help increase humidity without having to have them totally enclosed.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

I am not a fan of terrariums for Carnivorous plants, there is no need to put them in one. If you are starting seeds then putting them in a green house environment to start until they germinate is find but once they are up they need fresh air and should be taken out of the terrarium.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™