WANTED: Raleigh Seed Swap

tophersmithDecember 10, 2010

OK when is it? I would like to get some of that dwarf papaya the one that fruits in 1 season

I alos have a freind that is willing to rent out bee hives for the season

He can come talk about it if anyone is interested

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

I doubt anyone is going to have any of that seed, topher. If you find a source, let us know, b/c i'm sure there are more than a couple who'd pool together to get seed for them. But you can collect some yourself that will fruit in one season and be monoceous from the smaller types you find in the supermarket. They sprout readily. They aren't dwarf plants by any stretch of the imagination, though.

One lady who does the state farmer's market carried the plants for 2 or 3 years but i didn't make it out this spring when she normally had them so i don't know if she was selling them this past spring. The yrs i saw them money was too tight- this year i was too busy to get out there. Oh well. They were typically around 25-30.

I'd love to hear about beehives. We usually just do a very casual meet up in a panerra bread, taking over one small corner, so not so sure how that would work... thoughts? I don't think we had one last year- at least, if we did, i never heard about it and missed it.

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 7:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I think bad weather killed last years seed swap.

We usually aim for late January so hang on for another month.

I think we determined that the T.R. Hovey Papaya's (dwarf) were all clones and not grown from seed. Which is why they're expensive. They show up in seed catalogs but if you read the description you'll see that they are plants and not seed packets. A friend who was trying all sorts of papayas told me that there are quite a few dwarfs that haven't been released yet so expect more to show up.

Bookmark   December 17, 2010 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Free Potting Soil
Located in Anderson, SC. Must be able to load yourself....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
WANTED: Dixie Regional Hosta Meeting May 2014
FYI If you are interested, I can send you the email...
plantbug
WANTED: Loropetalum
Hi all, I have 3 large loropetalum in the front of...
fallsbagger
2015 Raleigh Spring Swap
The 2015 Raleigh Spring Swap will be held Saturday,...
trianglejohn
WANTED: Free potting soil
Correction: HAVE - Located in Anderson, SC. Must be...
erin08 (SC z7/8)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™