Best tangerine/mandarin tree for central valley

bbblueyesAugust 27, 2013

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which variety to plant. I'm looking for a sweet and tart tangerine like the one I have now. I have no idea what kind it is. It ripens around Thanksgiving to Christmas time and is wonderfully sweet and tart. Does anyone have any suggestions about a variety like that? I don't want a sweet one like the ones you can get in the grocery stores and all the descriptions I see on the web so far all list the varieties as plain sweet. I don't want a lot of seeds either. I live in the Central Valley so if you know one that's good for this area let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

No one in the valley has responded so I will tell you what I have and why. In December 1990 we had four days with nights down to 12 degrees. My only citrus to survive without damage was my Owari Satsuma Mandarin Orange. It bears heavily every year with fruit with no seeds. I am unable to judge the relative sweetness between other varieties, but we like it, and our great grandchildren who we send bags of fruit when ripe, ask for more. Al

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:13PM
kerrican2001(z9b CA)

I will second that. We are in the inland East Bay (Walnut Creek) and only got down to 20 degrees during that same epic freeze, but Owari Satsuma didn't have a scratch. Now there is a good chance we won't see temps as cold as 1990s in our lifetime, but there will be cold snaps that are still bad, and this one is tough. The fruit is awesome and prolific.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 1:27PM
bbblueyes

Thanks for the replies. I may have found the answer on the Citrus forum. I didn't know there was a citrus forum - I'm a newbie. I think I may get a Gold Nugget mandarin. A few people said they're even more cold resistant than the Satsuma! Not that it gets that cold here in the Fresno/Madera area, but every once in awhile we do get a hard freeze. Thanks again for the input!

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Where to find a 'zone' map
I used to have a map to tell me what zone im in, but...
jkcali
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™