Dormancy Temps?

xxiammexxJune 25, 2008

I'm planning on shipping on a plant down to my boyfriend once Lowe's gets their new shipment in. My question though is what types of plants would grow well in Jacksonville, FL and are easy to take care of for a beginner on a tight budget? Considering day time temperatures as far as I know can be in the 60s for quite a while during the winter will plants still go into dormancy and for long enough? I've heard that it's based mostly on daylight, but would like to see what everyone has to say. Should I just stick with a D. Adelae?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilbasso_74

Putting the plants in the refrigerator is another option. I did that with some of mine last winter and they were fine. Just spray them with fungicide first.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 9:07AM
petiolaris(Neutral)

It really depends upon what you want to do and what resources you have available to you. Do you want strictly outside plants or do you have window sills or a place to set up a plastic container with an artificial light over it?

There are some that require a dormancy / seasonal fluctuation. There are also many that do fine on a window sill all year long, or under a light.

What would you like to grow?

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 2:18PM
xxiammexx

Because the parents might not enjoy a plant in their refridgerator, I'm kind of trying to avoid that if possible. The temperatures in Jacksonville do get colder during the winter, and once in a while it will get to 32F at night, but usually it's warmer with daytime temps in the 60s and nights being cooler. Based on the plants I have available, the only indoor one is a D. Adelae, which I decided I might send a small one or two that I separated from mine. I did pick up a flytap in a 2 in. cube from Lowes yesterday. I guess we'll see if the temp will get cool enough and with less light and water it might start its dormancy.

I'm alittle happier with Lowes just recently putting the carnivorous plants in actual pots inside of the cubes now. Makes things a lot easier.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 8:17AM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Your VFT can grow just fine outside. It'll get the full range of temps and light it need, including a true dormancy. And yes, the (Lowes Cube Of death) D. adelae will do fine at a window sill. So will their P. primuliflora. There's bazillion more plants that also do well on window sills, low maintenance and very little space. But those come from online stores or hobbyists like myself.

Here are pics from the cube of death:

Here are a few real easy ones:

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
Darlingtonia californica seed cold stratification
Hello there! I have recently begun to grow some various...
addicted2plants
Sponsored Products
Kohler Memoirs Rite-Temp Stately Bath and Shower Faucet Trim
Overstock.com
Under Floor Warming: WarmlyYours Flooring 30 ft. x 18 in. 120-Volt TempZone
Home Depot
Whynter Stainless Steel 3.2 cu.-ft. Indoor / Outdoor Beverage Refrigerator Multi
$679.99 | Hayneedle
Under Floor Warming: WarmlyYours Flooring 29 ft. x 18 in. 240-Volt TempZone
Home Depot
Uttermost 31 3/4" High Tempe Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Sango 40-piece Nova Brown Stoneware Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com
Vinotemp 188MBSH Black and Steel Wine Cellar - 160 Bottle - VT-188-MBSH
Hayneedle
Moen Brushed Nickel Posi-Temp Tub/Shower
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™