Green Cat on COLEUS?!

greenjewels(Z8/9 MsGulfCoast)September 14, 2007

Another question from a newbie. I brought in cuttings of coleus a week ago to try rooting them. Today I found a bright lime green cat on one of the cuttings. Is coleus a host plant for a butterfly? I broke off the piece with the cat and took it to a large pot of coleus still growing outside. I'm going to try looking up on the web to see if coleus is a host plant but thought I might get quicker answer here. Thanks everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenjewels(Z8/9 MsGulfCoast)

I have checked the FAQ's and Googled but I could not find anything saying Coleus is a host plant for butterflies. So here's another dumb question. Do all caterpillars change into a butterfly/moth or are some just caterpillars for life?

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 11:39PM
jmcat(5)

It could be a moth cat, since they often are not as particular as to hosts. If you want to see the cat again, I would not suggest having it outside, as wasps will gladly eat cats.
-Jmcat

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 11:42PM
greenjewels(Z8/9 MsGulfCoast)

Thank you Jmcat. I have not been able to find the green cat in the coleus this morning. I have lots of coleus so maybe he's still there somewhere. I'll continue hunting--although, I have never brought a cat inside my house to raise! I don't know if I have the proper equipment, such as an aquarium maybe? I'm pretty new at this stuff.

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 10:45AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

There are numerous green larvae, so perhaps you could take a picture if he shows up again. To answer your other question, all caterpillars are the larvae of moths or butterflies. However, there are some other critters that look like caterpillars, but aren't. ;-) (But they are still larvae of some other kind of insect.)

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
pls.help me ID these guys:-)
Hello! I am currently here in. Tampa, Florida, took...
hawaiiponder34
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
They're back
Here in Central Florida we are at mid spring. I have...
tom123_gw
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
Sponsored Products
Summer Friends´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Geograph
$255.95 | Bellacor
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Light Green/Red 4' x 6'
Home Depot
Yoga Direct Black Yoga Mat - YM14-BLACK
$20.89 | Hayneedle
Rosemary Green Lido Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hopson Armless Chair - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Emerald Bold Stripe Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Lola Crib Bumper