Pics from today

wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)September 11, 2011

Sandy - is this the wild indigo duskywing?

I think I mostly have the Horace's duskywing, but this one was lighter with spots like you mentioned before... so...

I think this is a red banded hairstreak. I've had two three or four at a time on the garlic chive blooms.

And I've had five monarchs eclose this week... two today. Here is one of them from this morning.

~Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Laura,

The first picture is a Horace Duskywing. Erynnis horatius has the white spot on the cell. Yours is a female which has a more "mottled" appearance than the male. The second one is definitely a Red Banded Hairstreak or Calycopis cecrops. They really like the Garlic Chives. I have them on mine too.

That's a beautiful male Monarch (Danaus plexippus). I released 8 last week and found more than 20 eggs today. The yard was full of mostly males patrolling and chasing each other away from the Tropical MW. I have a rather large stand of Curassavica since we haven't had many Monarchs this summer. And, so far, the eggs I've found haven't been on that mass of plants, but on other plants throughout the yard. Guess there's been too much protection! One thing I know is that I always use every bit of milkweed I have to feed the larvae that hatch this time of year.

It's exciting to finally see the Monarchs in numbers. I've talked to other people in our area that are also finding eggs. Hope we get a lot to raise and they make it to Mexico. We may be their best hope for nectar along the way.

Sandy

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 12:15AM
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

I found eggs yesterday and more today so I'm hopeful. :-) I've really been enjoying watching them patrol the yard. So fun!

~Laura

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 9:28PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Yes! It's our turn to raise the Monarchs. More eggs here today, too.

Sandy

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 9:59PM
bob_71(z7 MD)

Really nice pictures, Laura, especially the Hairstreak!

Bob

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 9:43AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Thanks for sharing, Laura - they're beautiful!
Sherry

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 10:28AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Gorgeous photos, Laura! I am seeing Monarchs here now, too. I found 1 egg! Just one, can you imagine? I hope to get more. I am still raising Tobacco Sphinx so I may have my hands full.

What kind of a cage is that you're using?

Susan

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 11:16AM
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

Susan, it's one my husband built for me. It was our first attempt at it and I'm asking for another one, but we'll modify the design.

~laura

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™