What to plant?

zkgardnerAugust 5, 2013

Husband and I recently purchased 3ac of bare land, not a tree on it just tons of weeds. The property is full sun, and backs up to a fairly busy road. What would you recommend we plant for a good sound and privacy buffer. Were in zone 9, central California . The property receives irrigation water in the back half. We were thinking some sort of redwood , thanks ahead for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmarene

I am also in Central California zone 9. Around here many people plant Oleander Sister Agnes. I don't especially like Oleander but I have to admit it is perfectly used as a screen. It also is a shrub that looks better from a distance. How close is the road to your house?
I know you want a tree but these will fill in until your tree is large enough to fill out.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 7:18PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

For trees, the Valley Oak. It is their native home.

If you really want to do it right, for a sound barrier what you really need is a soil berm with a hedges of shrubs planted on the top of it. A soil berm is the most effective way of absorbing traffic noise and could add long-term value to your property.

If you would like to provide shelter for birds (which will then keep your property mostly free of insect pests) consider a screen of native shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valley Oak

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 1:03AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The oleander would provide a visual screen but do nothing to stop the traffic noise. We had a similar noise/ visual problem here with the road winding around us. The folks planted 150 oleanders along the road which stopped us from seeing the traffic but we could hear and smell it. Our garden always smelled of diesel exhaust. After 50 years the county moved the road to get rid of the sharp turns and many deaths from accidents. The house was built of concrete and double pane windows did a good job of blocking the noise inside, as long as you could keep the windows closed. Al

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
Shade cloth for tomatoes in San Fernando Valley
We have another couple of scorching days in So Cal...
sheckylovejoy
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
Sponsored Products
Peace Trees Rug
$11.99 | zulily
Perennial Tub Mat - SKY BLUE(MEDBLUE) (BATH MAT)
$39.90 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Artificial Bonsai Tree (16 in.)
Overstock.com
Canterbury Arbor - 66" Opening
Fifthroom.com
ES Robbins Desk Pads & Blotters Natural Origins Black BioBased 19 in. x 24 in.
$20.30 | Home Depot
AGUO Watering Can by Blomus
$80.99 | Lumens
Floral Mills Ball Preserved Boxwood Topiary
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™