New mesemb - ID help

NDay25(8a)June 18, 2013

Hello,

I picked up this guy recently, but it was not labeled. I'd like to nail down a name. The skin looks like my Pleiospilos nelii, but obviously the form is very different. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NDay25(8a)

Also, I repotted it from its original container. The plant seems tenuously attached to the root system, something I'm hoping some good sun and a bit more room to grow will cure. Any suggestions otherwise?

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:15PM
NDay25(8a)

Anyone?

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 2:59PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry it's not fast enough for you, but pls. allow more than one day for people to respond. Sometimes it takes a few days &/or maybe no one who is currently around knows its ID.

Looks like something in the Crassulacae family to me.

Also, tho you didn't ask, that mix still looks very peaty from here & is likely to be a problem. I'd at least 30-40% Perlite to it.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:39PM
NDay25(8a)

It was disappearing to the second page and I was just bumping it. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get lost. Next time I will state that - I could see how a brief reply might seem impatient.

Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 3:44PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry, I mean to type I'd 'add' at least 30-40% perlite ...

Thx for clarifying, didn't realize you were just bringing it back up top.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:21PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

It does look like a Pleiospilos of sorts. I was researching earlier, but hadn't figured anything definitive, so didn't say. I should've posted earlier what I thought it might be. Also figured Rian or Ryan (Beachplants or hanzrobo) would jump in here (know more about these guys). BUT...one has a new baby & the other a biz to run, besides 2 youngsters...SO, it may be a while before they show.

So, I'll say this...it looks similar to Pleiospilos compactus, but not quite. =)

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 4:22PM
NDay25(8a)

One more bump and then I'll let it fade away:

My best guess is Pleiospilos bolusii, but the pictures of other specimen don't match. Maybe something else Pleiospilos, but I can't seem to find good pictures of other species.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:26PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I believe P. bolusii leaves are much wider. Also, it is my understanding it will only have 2 leaves at a time. If it ever blooms, I hear it smells like coconut!

P. compactus ssp. canus still looks like a good possibility to me. See link below.

It's okay to bump up your post to refresh memory, esp. when the board is hot & running wild! =)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Roots growing out of echeveria stem
I have a bunch of struggling succulents... In a move,...
fergline
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Cactus ID?
Purchased this one without a tag. It's about 14"...
fireweed22
A Nice Welcome Today
A little surprise in the mail today...
kaktuskris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™