Marantha Nursery in Texas? (+ question about brug scents)

td1026August 29, 2012

I was wondering about the quality of their service and the health of their plants. Also, I'm looking at Dr Seuss and Charles Grimaldi, based on the reputations of their scents, however there are varieties that Marantha makes sound even more based on their descriptions on their website:

Goldtraum

Miami Orange Glow

Sunray

I'm also looking at Xena for the pink flowers. How fragrant is Xena compared to Dr Suess & Charles and the others?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kasha77

I think that they yellows/oranges have it for top fragrance, just my opinion. I don't know about GT, MOG or SR. I also have Xena. Nice spicy fragrance, not as overpowering as Dr S and CG.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 3:13PM
heygeno(z5 oh)

I gave my sister a brug cutting ( yellow, unknown ) she stuck it in water and in a month bloomed ! Her husband got her out of bed the other night because he thought the cat peed in his office..... she said "I smell flowers !"..... yep the burg .

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 10:30AM
ruthz

I have Xena, Dr Seuss and Charles Grimaldi but my Xena hasn't bloomed yet. I put it inground and it hasn't grown as well as the potted ones.
Dr Seuss and Charles Grimaldi have bloomed off and on all summer and I love the fragrance.
I'm not familiar with the others or the nursery.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 1:49AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I have not been to the nursery, but have talked with the owner, and believe him to be an honest and fair nurseryman. If you are asking if it is safe to order brugs from this nursery, guess my answer would be YES.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 3:16PM
printmaster1

Ditto, with carrie. I have talked with him several times on the phone. He isn't open to the public, but will open for a visit by appointment. He seems to be very honest and trustworthy.
Lonnie

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 7:33AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Also, the spelling of the name of the nursery is Maranatha. This is what is on his website.

Maranatha" literally means "Come, O Lord ...", and today is commonly used to mean "Jesus is coming again" ... my Christian faith tells me He will come again, in glory, and as King.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 10:07AM
printmaster1

AMEN!!!!

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 11:56AM
heygeno(z5 oh)

Yes.....come Lord Jesus......I started a church ( named it Maranatha ! ) back in the early 70's.......ever expecting......Geno

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 11:58AM
Lin barkingdogwoods

I have visited with Steve at his nursery (it's just down the road from me - dangerous!) and learned a lot. He showed me how he propagates them, as well as his set-up (greenhouse) for the winter.

He is very careful with his plants. If one doesn't appear to be what he purchased/traded when blooming, he considers it a NOID and will assign an ID for his tracking. He always sends out the best plants with a mail order, and he steered me away from ones that might not perform for me.

Lin

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Gotta love the Brugs.
About 5 years ago I was givin' the chance to get 4...
Hal Warrick
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
WANTED: Well rooted brug plants-can't root a cutting!
I love these plants and have tried multiple times to...
skipper08
Brugmansia cuttings wanted
I'm looking for Brugmansia cuttings I'll pay postage...
rowtow
goodgirl35us
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™