Recommended sundews and butterworts?

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)June 1, 2014

I am successfully growing several kinds of Sarracenia outdoors in northern Alabama, right on the border between zones 7 and 8. I want to try sundews and butterworts next - what species should I try first?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Drosera84(8a)

Are you looking for indoor or outdoor plants?

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:52PM
KittieKAT

Any sundew is a good sundew, i like cape sundews and dew threads...i just love the little octopus tentacles arm's

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 5:26AM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

I'm primarily looking for outdoor plants, inasmuch as I know I can provide them with what they need.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 6:25AM
tommyr_gw

Filiformis is great and easy to start from leaf cuttings in distilled water, Search for temperate Sundews and butterworts.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 9:56AM
Drosera84(8a)

Not all sundews (Drosera) are created equal. Different sundew (Drosera) require different grow condition but I guess you already know that. For outside grow in zone 8 (also my zone) I will recommend: D. intermedia âÂÂtypical formâÂÂ; D. binata; D. binata âÂÂmultifidaâÂÂ; D. filiformis âÂÂFlorida giantâ or all so known as D. filiformis filiformis. Tropical sundew (exp: D. capensis) can be grow outside but will need to be extra care for they need to be keep above 50 and high humidity 65+ for them to produce proper dew.

Butterworts (Pinguicula) can be a bit tricky to grow outside year around. This is the reason why it is hard to find them for sale. To say the least, I do not recommend growing butterworts outside in zone 8. But if you really want to try, here is a list of some butterworts that can be grow out side (if you can find them): P. vulgaris (the easiest to find); P. macroceras ( like cooler temperature zone around 6-7) P. grandiflora ( the easiest to grow if you live in zone 6) P. longifolia; P. Corsica; P. ramosa (extremely rare); P. villosa (will only grow in zone 1 or 2); P. vallisneriifolia (only grow by Europe growers⦠I donâÂÂt know why)

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
Nepenthes for beginners
Hi, I used to be a member of Garden Web years ago when...
HollowOakFarm
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™