Tree Oleanders...

stanofhAugust 11, 2008

The nicest use of Oleanders around. In particular these white Oleander bare a strong resemblence to Hawaiin Plumeria trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

Oleanders trained as standards. It should be against the law to grow them in any other fashion. Absolutely superb, sir, I concur!

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 7:20PM
angelcub(Sunset 3b)

Spectacular! I'm not a huge fan of them unless they're well taken care of, which doesn't seem to be the norm. My DH thought he positively hated them until he saw a low hedge of them in the parking lot of a Lowes, no less. He is now not so opposed to them. I will show him these pics. I bet he'll find them quite acceptable. : )

Diana

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 8:04PM
calistoga_al

For a commercial planting this is indeed an enlightened corporation willing to spend the big bucks for the overall beauty of the area. Oleanders properly grown are wonderful. Al

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 9:57AM
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

I have two 'Sister Mary Agnes' white oleander standards and one red oleander standard. The SMA has grown much faster and is incredibly floriferous. Only problem is the litter - I'm always sweeping dropped flowers off the sidewalk! But it's worth it. Thanks for the encouraging photo of mature specimens.

One warning for home gardeners - oleander standards need serious staking to grow upright. The trunks remain very flexible for the first three or four years, and it's all too easy for the trunk to thicken into a permanently leaning possition.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 10:48AM
riakiss_comcast_net

I have a appx.15' tall Oleander tree on my yard..,problem is "not blooming",lots of flower buds then the buds are drying up! What should I do? Last year I had "some" flowers!
Thank you!

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 8:38AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

I have a row of white oleanders pruned up as trees that line my long driveway. About 20 of them. Not as large and spectacular as these are - and they are quite gorgeous - but still very lovely! The very sad thing down here in S. California, is that we will eventually lose all our oldeanders as Oleander Leaf Scorch has spread to San Diego county. All of the oleanders in Riverside & San Bernardino counties, as well as most in Orange county have died, now. And, you can see the oleanders dying all over the medians here in San Diego county. Very sad. It is fatal, there is no cure, so we will eventually lose them all. I also have a nice hedge of white oleanders that line my back yard area as well. I am seeing Leaf Scorch already in my back yard oleanders, and am slowing losing those. My oldeander trees out front so far, seem to be fine, but it's just a matter of time for them, too. So very sad.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 11:36AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Those are spectacular indeed. Thanks for posting that.

Here many oleanders have died, but I've noticed on my walks a few which have sustained some damage are coming back.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 7:16PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Hoovb, they may appear as though they're coming back, but one stricken with OLS, they're doomed. I have had several that have done the same thing, but they will eventually die once infected.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Oleander Leaf Scorch

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:47AM
GVBob(8)

I planted an oleander tree this past December (~ 7 months ago). It seems to sucker a lot from the base and also up the trunck. It is already about 7 feet tall. Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount of suckering that I'm getting -- I don't think nutrition is an issue . HELP!

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:31PM
calistoga_al

To keep it as a tree will take a lot of pruning of suckering growth, at least for the first couple of years, which is the norm for Oleanders. As a new member, welcome. It would help if you would add your location to your name. Al

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:59AM
BarbJP CA 15-16/9B

There is a product called "Sucker Stopper" by Monterey company, that works pretty good, though sometimes you need a second dose.
But I've hear rumors that they may have discontinued it, haven't been able to confirm that though.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™