Monarch problem

atd_ocOctober 7, 2010

My last 3 Monarch's have had difficulty opening up their wings. How long should it take?

I am new to the life cycle but this is my second summer of watching them feast on Milkweed and then crawl away to continue the next stage. I am always trying to discover where they are hanging so I can hope to find one emerge from the chrysalis. It seems to be about two weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runmede(7a Virginia)

Sounds like you are watching the cycle outside. Cold weather slows every thing down. What's your day/night time temps? What's your state? Your Zone? I need that information to answer questions.

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 10:02AM
atd_oc

I am in Southern CA. The weeks have been warmer than unusal for the fall, even breaking the record.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 1:13AM
tdogmom(9)

I also live in Southern California. I have a Monarch website Learn about Monarchs (I have had a few problems lately with my site not loading correctly so I will apologize in advance!).

It sounds to me as if you are experiencing Monarchs with a large Oe parasitization. This appears to be a problem right now everywhere and may be a result of a number of people who have been raising and releasing Monarchs that have been parasitized with Oe and not concerned with the spread of this parasitoid. One individual, in particular, has been sharing information online stating that Monarchs with Oe are perfectly fine to release into the wild! What a moron. You can see what has happened...

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™