On N. Ventricosa, Plant Maturity, and Other.

samuel_01(Zone 6)June 15, 2010

Hi everyone here on the forums, this is my first post, and I have just a few questions I was hoping maybe a few of you could answer.

My first question is just a simple one andd that is on fertilizing Nepenthes, mine being an N. Ventricosa. I have been reading that I should use 1/4 strength solution. So does that mean 1/4 of the already diluted orchid fertlizer. They say 1/4 tbsp to 1 gallon, so is that okay? Or should I take 1/4 of that being 1/8 tablespoon.

Secondly, how can I tell the maturity of my Ventricosa, or any of my plants really. I suppose I focus specifically on the nep because I would really like to see it flower, but I have read it doesn't flower for a while. Is there really any way of making an educated guess by looking at it?

Lastly, I am mainly still confused about Upper vs. Lower pitchers. I have read a few other posts relating to this, but I have not found exactly the answer I am looking for, but forgive me if any of these questions are repeats.

I guess I'm just confused when it comes specifically to the N. Ventricosa. I've seen upper and lower pitchers for say the rafflesiana, but I haven't found anything for ventricosa? They have both right? And if so, what are the pitchers it firsts produce? I've posted a pic of mine that hopefully you can see, but what kind of pitchers are those? If it's a ground pitcher, how do I encourage climing pitchers, and if its a climbing pitcher, how do I encourage ground pitchers.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading, hopefully at least 2/3 questions can be answered XD

Thanks,

Samuel

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

With Neps you use 1/4 of the strength recommended on the label. Put some of that mix in a SPRAY BOTTLE and lightly spray the LEAVES ONLY. Every 2 weeks until pitchers form. It is only used to help start pitcher growth in the spring.

Second question I am not sure of so I will beg off that one.

I'll beg off the 3rd as well. Age may play a part in number 3. I am not sure though.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 9:04PM
samuel_01(Zone 6)

Thank you for the quick response tommyr.

I wasn't aware that the fertilization was only for the starting of pitchers. My plant already has two fully grown pitchers, and three more starting up so I guess by that logic I shouldn't even bother with the fertilizer. Is there any benefit at all to fertilizing the plant, even if pitchers are already forming?

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:23PM
wrynsmom(5)

for the record . . . 1/4 strengh of 1/4 Tbsp is 1/16 Tbsp . . . 1/8 Tbsp is half strength.

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:20PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

There's really no way to tell how old the plant is because it could be a cutting of a cutting of a cutting and could be older than you are now.
Those are lower pitchers and upper pitchers of a ventricosa will look much different. The top of the pitcher should look more like a toilet bowl. The plant will have to start vining before it gets uppers. Usually if grown in favorable conditions and not topped for cuttings this could happen somewhere around 5-7 years old. Here's a link to a pic of ventricosa upper from dangerousplants.com

http://www.dangerousplants.com/photos/ventric.jpg

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 12:43AM
samuel_01(Zone 6)

Hah, thanks for the correction carolyn, my mistake XD.

And thanks taz, that's very helpful. Now that I think of it I have seen those kinds of pitchers on the N. Ventricosa, I guess i just didn't realize they were the uppers.

I suppose I'll just have to play the waiting game as far as flowering goes then. I appreciate it taz, thank you.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
Help with Southern Purple Pitcher Plant
Hello. I need some advice about growing and caring...
arvadalanee
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™