osmeterium has been extended for 3-4 days??

ams2009October 11, 2010

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this happen before..i have several gst cats, various instars, one cat's osmetrium has been extended since the cat molted about 3-4 days ago. Constantly extended, has not retracted at all as far as I know, everytime I check, extended! Most of the time, FULLY extended. There isn't any odor at all. Just constantly extended, even while cat eats, crawls around,etc. The osmetrium looks "dry", especially near the tips but the cat seems fine otherwise, just looks like he's angry all the time, lol. This cat still has at least one more molt (I think he is 4th instar but I may be wrong) so hoping after next molt, osmetrium will function normally again. If anyone has experienced this before, I'd appreciate any info, thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Maybe he needs some WD-40? Oops, I was channeling Jeff for a sec there.

Very strange, and I've never seen that before. Maybe the "dry" part you're seeing is actually a tiny piece of skin that stuck to the osmeterium during the molting process????? Can you see it closer if you use a magnifying glass?

Susan

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 7:31AM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Does sound really odd and unusual. I have never seen it before. Poor thing.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 9:43AM
terrene(5b MA)

This happened to one of my last BST cats, maybe at around 4th instar. The osmeterium was always sticking out, not fully extended, but it appeared the poor guy couldn't fully retract it either.

I worried about it, of course, but continued tending to the cat as best as possible. He (or she?) ended up pupating AND eclosing normally. That butterfly ended up being the smallest BST released this year, however, so maybe it did affect it somehow?

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 9:44AM
runmede(7a Virginia)

My choice for things stuck is to spray them with a mister (water). Water loosens many things. I've used a mist of water to help a monarch caterpillar get its face mask off that got stuck when it molted. I've used a mist of water to loosen skin that was stuck around a moth caterpillar's body. The skin needed to come off so the moth could continue eating. I've used a mist of water to carefully pull off skin that was stuck to the tail section of a chrysalis after pupation.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™