anxiously awaiting the spring garden

thomis(7)January 31, 2013

Hello folks. We took a year off from gardening. With a 3 and 1 year old in the house, there just hasn't been time. The garden has been dormant for four seasons and has a generous topping of 2 acres worth of leaves and a year's worth of chicken manure. I fully expect to turn it over this weekend and get an eye full of beautiful, rich wormy earth. We usually wait until April to plant but I'm feeling a little more sprite this year. I know there are things I can get started now, or at least a a few weeks. Maybe some lettuces, and other greens I'd like to try. I'm interested in hear what you Carolinians are getting started now in your late winter gardens. I'm especially interested in growing English peas, which I know very little about. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I sow most of my seeds in the basement in trays under lights. Lettuce, broccoli, spinach and kale are already up and at 'em. Carrots, onions, garlic and shallots are already growing from a fall planting. Any day now I will sow peas (Snow and Garden peas) and nasturtiums - in the ground outside, they hate to be transplanted. I have a whole new area behind my blueberry row that I have been working on all winter. I will fill it with pumpkins and melons this summer. After that I am officially out of room...well, except for that stretch along the driveway leading out to the mailbox...

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
anyone grow Pseudosasa japonica?
Does anyone on this forum have Pseudosasa japonica?...
cousinfloyd
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
onions from seed; one more try
I've struggled to grow onions from seed and have tried...
thomis
Howdy!
I just wanted to say good morning! :) And, tell everyone...
mygardnparadise
Decidious Magnolias Toast Sunday Morning?
Most decidious mags are blooming their beautiful pink...
jqpublic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™