My christmas catcus is flowering IN JUNE !!!!

tropicalzone7(7b)June 13, 2009

I sucessfully get my christmas catcus to bloom every year, but it never blooms at the same time. I know for sure it is a christmas catus, but 2 years ago it bloomed in mid march, and last fall it bloomed a little after thanksgiving, and never made it to christmas.

Just today I realized that my christmas catus has buds on it, and alot of them. The buds are still small, but it looks like it should be in full bloom by mid july, where temperatures will be in the mid to upper 80s every day. Should I be worried. I dont have an idea at all why its blooming. I gave it plant food (which should encourage leaf growth, not flowers). I also gave it lots of water, and even some sun. Yesterday the weather was so humid that it poured out of nowhere for about 5 minutes and then the sun returned. The weather has been cool for june, but last weekend was average, sunny, and in the 80s, and this week was in the mid 70s and cloudy.

My questions are:

1. Will it continue to produce buds if we actually get some average temps. which are in teh mid 80s this time of the year)

2. If it does bloom now will I get some more blooms during the fall, or will it be sending out new leaves.

3. Should I decrease watering and keep it in more shade to encourage buds, or should I give it plant food, sun, and water like its been getting all along.

Here isare two pictures of it I just took. As you can see the buds arent very visable from a distance yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prayerrock(zone 5)

well when it bloomed around thanksgiving it was true to its species because this is actually a thanksgiving cactus..but hey enjoy the blooms anyways:) It looks good and healthy.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 4:03PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Thanks. I always wanted my christmas cactus to bloom in the summer, but I didnt know it was possible in my warm location. It looks like it has a mind of its own, but like you said Ill definately be enjoying the blooms. I will also be uploding pics probably in about 3 weeks of its first blooms.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 5:20PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Not a Christmas Cactus, but a nice plant no less!

Please do share blooms when they open.

Josh

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 6:52PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Its not a christmas cactus? It does have almost identical blooms. Its blooms are pink, and when I bought the plant 3 years ago it was blooming around christmas. If its not a christmas cactus can someone ID it for me? Ill try to find a pic of it blooming last fall if that helps.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 8:06PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Prayerrock IDed it for you, just a post or two above:

Thanksgiving Cactus

You can tell by the "points" on the leaf-margins.
Christmas Cactus has smooth leaves.

Josh

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 8:32PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Here ya go!
This ought to show the difference in leaf-margin:

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 8:37PM
prayerrock(zone 5)

Thanks Josh..that is exactly right! The christmas cactus does not have points, nor does the easter cactus..It is a thanksgiving cactus.

Mary

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 8:38PM
prayerrock(zone 5)

Josh showed you the christmas cactus..and this is my thanksgiving cactus...showing the contrast.

Mary

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 8:44PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I honestly didnt know their was a difference between the two other than bloom times until now. It turns out they have very different leaves. Thanks for the help. This the the first time I ever saw a thanksgiving cactus or anything in that family bloom in the summer. The weather's not suppost to warm up past the high 70s next week, so that should encourage even more buds. I cant wait until it blooms and will definately update its progress right up until its in full bloom.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 9:24PM
tommyr_gw

It's been a really cool spring weather wise, I'm getting a bud or 2 on my thanksgiving cactus as well.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 8:59AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

It looks like a very cool summer is comming too. Every day is forecast to be 6-10 degrees below the average which is 82ish and the sun refuses to break through the clouds on most days lately. At least the cold weather has its upsides.

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 11:53AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Here it is now 2 weeks later. It looks like the first blooms will be comming this week. Also have not gotten much in the way of heat over here so the buds seem to be holding up really well

Close up

Will be posting more in the next few days.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 5:41PM
xerophyte_nyc(7)

Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving...are we missing any holidays?

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 8:08AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

The first bud is now starting to open and should be fully open by friday. Ill try to get some pics of the plant on the fourth of july.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 1:09PM
johnh_or(Portland OR Z8)

My T-Giving cactus probably blooms 3 times a year....whenever it feels like it it seems!

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 3:56PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Mine seems to know when people are going to see it most because it always blooms in time for some type of holiday. Over the past 3 years it has bloomed for thanksgiving, christmas, a little short of easter, and now fourth of july.
I think its in competition with the cannas because they look like they will both be starting to bloom at the same time.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 7:50PM
cactiman_2009

here in australia they always blume in june. over here we call them crab claws. could it have swichted hemisheres somehow? dont no if this helps.

regards matt

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 4:32AM
gardenlover25

Your cactus looks so healthy and I can't wait to see the flower in full bloom. I also found photo shows the blooming Christmas cactus.

Here is a link that might be useful: christmas cactus

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 7:51AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Gardenlover,
the plant in that link is not a Christmas Cactus either.
You can tell by the "points" on the leaf-margins. Christmas Cactus is smooth.

Josh

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Spring repots anyone???
I've already started my Spring repots even though it's...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Little Cyathia and Hopes of Bigger Things...
Cyathia on my little Euphorbia today, and little buds...
kaktuskris
Hard time finding Cereus Cacti i.e. a nice Ming Thing etc
I really thought this would be an easy task, but I'm...
Bama_Joe
Crassula Bonsai Lover
Hello succulents lovers, I would like to share some...
Martin
Large Jade Whack and Repot
Hello GW, I got this plant a few days ago, and have...
americangolden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™