Acid rain?

poolboy101(TX, 9)July 9, 2007

I live in a place where we have a lot or chemical plants for processing oil and what not. I set out a large bucket to catch rain water. When I told my brother the bucket was for catching rain water which is mineral free he told me I was wrong and the water is not totally pure like distilled water. He said acid rain would hurt my plants. (He has no CP or gardening experience at all) I set my S. Purpurea and VFT outside and I don't want them to die from the rain water it may receive. Because it rains alot where I live. Should I actually be worried? Is it really going to kill my plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Most CP's require an acidic environment, so that isn't an issue. What might be is what that rainwater may contain. You either guess that it will be okay or have your water tested. A friend of mine from Burbank says that rainwater is unsuitable for her CP's. If you don't have a lot of plants, gallon jugs of distilled water from the grocery store is safe.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 6:57PM
poolboy101(TX, 9)

I have been using distilled water, but my main concern is that when it rains it will hurt my plants. I would rather spend money on water than get free water and kill my plants. lol I was wondering if the residual rain water in my soil from a day of rain hurt?

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 9:43PM
jonocross

I think the side of caution is usually the best. When I was wondering about my local water, I simply called the water works and they had already done a local report so it was just a matter of asking them for the findings. If your area has an issue with acid rain, they may have information on what's in it and ppm already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 9:47AM
ilbasso_74

If you are concerned, you could always flush your pots out with distilled water after rains. I've heard of lots of people watering nepenthes with tap water and flushing the pots out regularly to remove anything that may be in the soil.

I'm too chicken to try it myself.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™