Old-Fashioned Daffodils (Lent Lilies) Are Blooming in Zone 7b

jay_7bsc(8a)January 24, 2012

Oh, happy day! The little, old-fashioned yellow daffodils are nodding their lovely heads here in our corner of Zone 7b. "If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" As if we've had any real winter this year--knock on wood.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

That's great. They must be a really early variety.
Sprigs of the forsythia bushes have a few blossoms open where they get the most sun.

Can you force forsythia cuttings to bloom?

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 7:05PM
lsst(7b)

Sunday,I saw an old fashioned daffodil blooming in front of an old homestead near Tryon NC.

I was so surprised.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 12:09AM
jay_7bsc(8a)

They are that old daffodil dating back to the colonial era in American gardens and seen at old house sites and along the roadside throughout the Southeast--like the snowdrops, aka snowflakes, jonquils (Campernelles), and Roman hyacinths, cherished by generations of gardeners. The Lent lilies came over with the European colonists and have been grown in the Old World for centuries. The are the "host" of daffodils in that famous Wordsworth poem.

Yes, "golden bell," or forsythia, can easily be forced for indoor arrangements this time of the year. Just snip an odd-number of branches and put them inside the house in a vase. A cut-glass, crystal vase would be pretty with a forced arrangement of forsythia. Add a little "breath-of-spring," (_Lonicera fragrantissima_), wintersweet (_Chimonanthus praecox_) and/or Japanese Flowering Apricot (_Prunus mume_) for fragrance. A few camellias would be a nice touch.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 12:29AM
wertach zone 7-B SC

A coworker told me this morning that her tulips are 6" high!I haven't saw any Daffodils yet. If this weather keeps up I'm starting some tomatoes! LOL

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 1:49PM
rosebush(z7 NC)

Hello! Haven't been on forums in a while but had to post about these lovely little daffs.
For years my sister and I have found them out on the old family homestead that dates back to the late 1700s.
Thank you Jay for the background info!
We have transplanted many of these cheerful little plants/bulbs so we could enjoy them at home.
Co-workers always call them "lilies" and Mom calls them "jonquils." Whatever you call them, they are the sweetest preview of spring to me.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 6:24AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

i had my first one blooming early last week- so surprised to see it since my jetfires typically bloom first and it was an ice follies. actually, normally my species crocus bloom first...

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™