Checkered White or Cabbage White?

bananasinohio(6OH)October 24, 2012

Has anyone raised Checkered Whites before? I collected a whole bunch of eggs on Hairy Bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta). They are starting to hatch, and I am sure most of them are cabbage whites. However, we did see a checkered white laying eggs in the area on the same plants. Are you able to tell the hatchlings apart? I can't find any pictures of hatchlings. The only thing I could find was a first instar picture. That picture shows a caterpillar with a black head. All the hatchlings so far have green or white heads.

Any info would be a help!

Thanks,

Elisabeth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaspuddyprint

The Checkered White caterpillar is striped white, yellow and bluish black with dark spots/dots and a green head. Little tiny white hairs. They use pepper weed / lentejilla / Lepidium Virginicum here.

I tried to post a link to photos i have on Dave's but GW blocks them. No wonder I don't frequent GW but once in a blue moon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Checkered White caterpillar

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 10:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananasinohio(6OH)

Well, I had given up hope on any checkered white eggs. Then I was switching some cabbage white caterpillars to new plants in another container when I found a small caterpillar. Yay! It is a checkered white! I am so excited! It still has a way to go though, and some of the cabbage whites had parasitoid wasps. So, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Elisabeth

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Host Plants by Butterfly species
Well, everything is new here. Will post this to see...
mary_littlerockar
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™