I'm Looking for Cobra Plants

CAST1(9b Arizona)July 24, 2013

My younger brother is becoming interested in carnivorous plants and he asked for a cobra plant. What are some good websites that sell these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken2256(5b)

Hey Cast, I seen some listed on ebay this morning, also some seed.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 12:10PM
tommyr_gw

These are fairly picky plants and not for beginners. Try California Carnivors or Sarracenia Northwest.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 10:30PM
ketvalgal(sunset23)

Darlingtonia are a little more difficult than many carnivores. They like cool conditions and cool root run. They are also slow growers. They come from the Northern California coastal mountains where it is cloudy and cool all the time and their roots are in or near moving water.

Tough carnivorous plants are Nepenthes Miranda and Ventrata (often available at big box stores). Miranda has quite large, colorful pitchers. Highland and intermediate elevation Nepenthes are generally pretty easy to grow as long as you don't let temps get too low. They are not as picky about water as drosera and sarracenia. I live in San Diego where my water has over 700 TDS and I water them with tap water. They don't seem to care.

Sarracenias are also quite tough. Although in much of Arizona they will want shade to part shade due to lack of humidity and the amazing amount of sun and heat. These definitely need reverse osmosis, distilled or rain water if TDS is over 100.

Drosera binata are easy but pretty much disappear during winter. They also prefer to have some shade in hot, high light conditions. Drosera capensis is quite tough also.

Start with something that will be successful. Avoid Darlingtonia and Heliamphora until everybody is really into the hobby.

I can totally recommend the Mike Wang sarracenia at California Carnivores. Big beautiful and healthy.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™