Chrysalis on milkweed leaf

chmpgntst(USDA 10 Sunet 23/24)October 20, 2012

Hi all,

I have a few milkweed plants and a whole bunch of beautiful caterpillars on my patio. Yesterday, a small cat went to chrysalis on a milkweed leaf. I was pretty surprised -- he didn't look big enough to be ready, but I guess nature knows better? Anyway, I am wondering if I should leave the chrysalis on the leaf and risk one of the others somehow damaging it by eating the leaf, or if it's better left untouched.

TIA!

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolbutterfly(5A)

Amy, this happened to me recently on a potted plant too. I removed the entire leaf and taped it securely to an overhang in my kitchen.

If you leave it on the plant, it's very possible another caterpillar could chew through the leaf and send the chrysalis falling to the ground.

Hope this helps, Tony

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogmom(9)

I agree with Tony�take the leaf off. I usually just drape the leaf over the top of a smaller container so that the pupa can hang into the container. I keep watch over the pupa and when it appears to be ready to eclose as a butterfly, remove the leaf and place it outdoors. :) A clothespin can be used to pin the leaf to whatever you want to hold it to.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™