Skipper id needed

seedmoneyOctober 6, 2010

Greetings,

Fingers crossed that this is a Eufala skipper. What is the group consensus? Posed here on Rose Vervain, Verbena hastata 'Rosea'. I live ten miles from the Great Dismal Swamp on the Outer Banks of Carolina. This pic was snapped in August. Thanks for looking. Here is another link if you want an extremely large photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/seedmoney/4930332962/in/set-72157624656982755/

Regards,

seedmoney

Here is a link that might be useful: Eufala Skipper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananasinohio(6OH)

My gut feeling is that this is a tawny edge skipper, Polites themistocles. It could also be a cross-line, Polites origenes, but I am going with my gut. If you look at Will Cook's site he has some good pictures of the Eufala. To me they look like Swarthys (or Swarthies?) with spots on the forwing.

But I leave the final judgement to the better experts...

Cheers,
Elisabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Cook's Eufala

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 4:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

I think what you have is a Crossline Skipper, Polites origenes female. I am including a link to a page that has several pictures of Crosslines. I feel like there isn't the variation in color on the two wings that the Tawny has. Also, most Tawnys do not have the hindwing dots, but are plain. To really be able to tell the difference between the two, you need a dorsal shot showing the stigma. Also, size is important, as Crosslines are bigger than Tawnys.

HTH,

Sandy.

BTW, Elizabeth, the Eufala does look a lot like the Swarthy in pictures. But when you see them, the Eufala has a sheen that the Swarthy doesn't have. It also doesn't have the lighter colored veins. This is the time of the year to spot Eufalas. I usually get them on my Aster oblongifolius--which still hasn't bloomed this year. Normally I have blooms in late August. The plant is loaded, but the flowers haven't opened yet. :

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossline Skipper images

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™