short, hedges

BJB73August 8, 2013

I need short hedges for a French Mediterranean look in my tiny front yard.They will either frame a parterre or be in rows. Large urns will have the seasonal color needed.
Other than boxwood, what would you recommend for the shade? It does get seasonal sun in early morning and late afternoon.
I would prefer a solid look rather than variegated foliage.
The shortest hedge will be about 12-18" tall and wide. The largest needs to be no more than 2.5' tall and wide.
I am hoping for a variety of greens - light to dark. I need 3-4 types that will look good next to or in front of one another.
Please help. I really appreciate your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmarene

I don't understand your zone.
Where are you?

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 4:55PM
calistoga_al

I have seen a very attractive small hedge done with rosemary in a commercial setting around a coffee cafe here in the Napa valley. Al

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 10:26AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

92009 looks like zip code for Carlsbad, coastal San Diego.

Petite little shrubs Euyonymous japonicus 'Microphyllus' is quite reliable. Nice that it is a slow grower-less maintenance for you. Boxwood, of course--there are some dwarfy versions, though it gets yellowy at certain times of the year--closer to the coast it is better--how close are you? Common myrtle, Myrtus communis, sweetly fragrant foliage, love that plant. Slow grower, you can keep it that small, and it is extremely tough and drought tolerant. If you are really close to the coast, some of the Hebes make a lovely short hedge, but away from the immediate coast they are not happy.

More informal--Dwarf lavenders are nice--heavenly fragrance--avoid the full-sized ones, they are too big for your purpose.

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 8:06PM
emmarene

I have a very short hedge of Iberis Sempervivium.. It is pretty in bloom and looks nice just green. I agree with Hoovb about common myrtle.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 3:57PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

There's a "dwarf" common myrtle, and I really love mine. I also grow the Euyonymous, and it has a nice dark green leaf and stays small. The boxwood seems to turn yellow here.
Renee

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™