Mini Greenhouse

allysunJune 18, 2012

Hi I am hoping for some insight regarding growing cacti from seed. My boyfriend gave me a mini greenhouse (plastic egg, soil, and seeds) kit a few weeks ago and I followed the instructions however I think I used too much water and it looked like it was starting to mold (cobweb looking strings?). So in doing some research I found that this was commonly possible and the only way for the plants to survive was to repot. I bought some cacti soil from Home Depot, fertilizer, and a small pot. Did my best to transfer the tiny guys but... they all died. SO... I bought a new kit online and want to try again since I already have all the supplies and my bf was disappointed that I killed the first ones. I will definitely water less but I am mainly wondering how long to keep them in the plastic egg before transfering them. Do I take the lid off at some point? They were pretty small when I transfered them to the pot the first time and I don't think they were strong enough to survive. Any insight or advice is welcome. Keep in mind I am new to this and I know my past attempt wasn't the greatest. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Alas, we all learn from our mistakes. Don't be frightened to ask dumb questions. I don't grow from seed cause I am just not that nurturing. There are many on here that do. Me, Those little thngs scare me. I grow cactus because they are forgiving of neglect . They love my neglect. We are a match made in heaven, I just need to get them at a teenager stage.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FerocactusLatispinus(Zone 4/Sunset 43 WI)

Quite right! My first attempt failed miserably, but yeah, cactus seedlings are really high-maintenance. Just the right amount of humidity, light, watering...

Germination requirements vary quite a bit, but generally, the seeds need to be kept moist, set on the surface of the seed starting mix, kept at a somewhat high temperature of, for example, 77 F, and given an increasing gradual change of lighting. First couple weeks, shade, then indirect sun, and into a month or two they will probably be ready for full sun. The humidity will also need to be gradually decreased once they have sprouted.

There are a lot of excellent posts on this topic for cacti, and they are much more descriptive! I highly recommend referring to those posts!

Hope you are sucessful in your efforts!!

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
New Additions from the Philadelphia Flower Show
This is what I acquired on Saturday at the Flower Show....
ehuns27 7a PA
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
What kind of succulent are you? Please help ID
Thx all for the help. I have a few clippings of the...
chiquitanerd
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™