How to move BST chrysalis

tpolonyOctober 4, 2010

I have very little experience with BST caterpillars, and now I have a problem. My BST pupated at the top of my mesh enclosure instead of on the multitudinous sticks I provided, right where top and the side walls join. He's parallel to the ground. I have to put him in another container to put him outside to overwinter, as this enclosure is large and I'm still raising other caterpillars.

Is there a way to detach him from where he is and re-attach him to a stick or something else? He will no longer have his sling...A couple of years ago I had one detach from the stick and it did fine on the bottom of the enclosure. Once I figure out how to detach him safely, can I put him on the bottom of the new enclosure without re-attaching him?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runmede(7a Virginia)

Give the pupa a couple days to harden. Then spray with water. Carefully, pull the pupa off. If it doesn't come off right away, spray with water again and use a pin.
Second way, using masking tape, put two pieces down very close to the back of the pupa. Press this down a bit, and then taking both pieces, you should be able to pull up the silk. I then double both pieces of sticky tape together and cut to shape and then put a pin through.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 6:23PM
imabirdnut

Thanks for the picture...I will also use your technique when I have trouble with a crysalis detaching...I've tried to make a sling with tape or a twisty & sometines it works & sometimes it hasn't!

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 8:42AM
tpolony

The tape method worked great! The only thing I needed to do extra was put a piece of tape horizontally along the BST's rear end in addition to the two vertical pieces, because the pad wasn't coming up. It was in a very difficult spot, along the seam of the mesh cage, so that made it harder.

This is GREAT because I was also able to get the sling intact, so now I have it pinned to the side of the overwintering container at its natural angle instead of just hanging by its rear end upside down!

I may try to tape the whole thing to a stick at a later time so it emerges onto an angled surface, but for now this is good.

Thanks!!!

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™