Pomegranates in SoCal no fruit

yeye7August 29, 2011

Hello Fruit Lovers, I have a vertical habit pomegranate, about 8' tall, in the ground 2 years and a short, lollipop shaped pomegranate, about 4 ' tall, in the ground 3 years. They're in different parts of the yard, with different sun exposures, but they have the same problem, so I'm sure it's me. They do flower, and fruit seems to swell, but then at

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Do you know for sure you have fruiting pomegranates? There are many non-fruiting, ornamental varieties that are very popular here, perhaps you have a couple of these? If not, what fruiting varieties do you have? It can take 2 to 3 years for poms to fruit. You should fertilize 3 times a year with the same fertilizer you use for your citrus trees for the first couple of years as they get established. Then once in the spring, and mulch well with compost. I tend to mix in a wee bit of chicken compost (which you can get by the bag at Lowe's) along with my regular compost. I have them on drips.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: California Rare Fruit Growers: Pomegranate Facts

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 10:00PM
dancer40(9)

There is someone in my neighborhood that has a Pomegranate tree and it has lot's of fruit. I am so envious as I drive by it. Sorry that probably didn't help, but I just wanted to share.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 9:04PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Fruit will come, yeye's pom is still very young, yet. Patience, grasshopper.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™