Virginia Trip

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)October 17, 2012

We had a great trip to see the home of my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Arthur Allen of Surry County, VA, built in the 1660's - he died not long after building it. It was originally known simply as Arthur Allen's brick house, later known as Bacon's Castle, since Nathaniel Bacon used it as a fortification during Bacon's Rebellion.

The garden was skimpy, with only a few plants, but researching them was very interesting! I found what looked like some type of celosia growing there. After looking it up, I believe it to be Amaranthus cruentus, which was, according to my information, a substitute for spinach, and the seeds could also be used as a grain crop. Here are two pictures -

They also ate the leaves of Acanthus mollis/bear's breeches. Is that what this plant is?

This plant needed water, but it had some seed pods -

The tour guide said that they were desperate for fresh greens to eat back then, and I assume they grew these plants, because spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, etc. are cool season plants and would die back in the summer. They didn't have a grocery store where they could buy more desirable leafy greens! :)

The only butterflies I saw here were some sulphurs, probably clouded or orange sulphurs, but they flitted by so quickly, I couldn't be sure.

I have more pictures, but I'll post them separately to keep this thread from being too picture heavy.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Sherry,
Is the building still standing? Could we see a picture of that? I know it's off topic, but there's not much going on butterfly-related for many of us, since the weather is cooling down. If you want to adhere strictly to the rules, you could post on the conversations part of this forum. I love history, and it's even more fun when it includes "real" people. I bet you had a great trip.

Martha

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I posted this, Martha, because Susan wanted to know what was planted in the garden - it was supposed to be what would have been planted in the 1660s. Susan hasn't posted, though - 'hope she's well.
Yes, the house is still standing and is owned by Preservation Virginia. We really enjoyed touring it!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacon's Castle/Allen's Brick House

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™