Virginia Trip

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)October 17, 2012

We had a great trip to see the home of my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Arthur Allen of Surry County, VA, built in the 1660's - he died not long after building it. It was originally known simply as Arthur Allen's brick house, later known as Bacon's Castle, since Nathaniel Bacon used it as a fortification during Bacon's Rebellion.

The garden was skimpy, with only a few plants, but researching them was very interesting! I found what looked like some type of celosia growing there. After looking it up, I believe it to be Amaranthus cruentus, which was, according to my information, a substitute for spinach, and the seeds could also be used as a grain crop. Here are two pictures -

They also ate the leaves of Acanthus mollis/bear's breeches. Is that what this plant is?

This plant needed water, but it had some seed pods -

The tour guide said that they were desperate for fresh greens to eat back then, and I assume they grew these plants, because spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, etc. are cool season plants and would die back in the summer. They didn't have a grocery store where they could buy more desirable leafy greens! :)

The only butterflies I saw here were some sulphurs, probably clouded or orange sulphurs, but they flitted by so quickly, I couldn't be sure.

I have more pictures, but I'll post them separately to keep this thread from being too picture heavy.

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Sherry,
Is the building still standing? Could we see a picture of that? I know it's off topic, but there's not much going on butterfly-related for many of us, since the weather is cooling down. If you want to adhere strictly to the rules, you could post on the conversations part of this forum. I love history, and it's even more fun when it includes "real" people. I bet you had a great trip.

Martha

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I posted this, Martha, because Susan wanted to know what was planted in the garden - it was supposed to be what would have been planted in the 1660s. Susan hasn't posted, though - 'hope she's well.
Yes, the house is still standing and is owned by Preservation Virginia. We really enjoyed touring it!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacon's Castle/Allen's Brick House

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
pls.help me ID these guys:-)
Hello! I am currently here in. Tampa, Florida, took...
hawaiiponder34
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Starting to look good in the south U.S.A....
Yesterday and today I saw butterflies here in my "yard". Actually...
dragonflydee
Milkweed germination times and rates
Someone was kind enough to send me all sorts of seeds...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Sponsored Products
Design Toscano Heavens Guardian Angel Garden Statue - KY1454
$276.27 | Hayneedle
Black Four-Person Insulated Picnic Tote Set
$39.99 | zulily
Interlocking Tile: Stanley Garage Flooring 24 in. x 24 in. Black Anti-Fatigue
$69.97 | Home Depot
Serena & Lily Leaf Window Panel
Serena & Lily
George Kovacs | Circuit Medium Pendant Light
$350.00 | YLighting