OT: Eloise this is for you

karyn1(7a)August 2, 2011

My babaco is actually holding a fruit. So far anyway. This is the longest one has held. Ill be thrilled if it ripens. I'm surprised it's doing so well considering it's a cloudforest plant and we've had such high heat. Cross your fingers for me : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
figara(Ca 9)

Karyn, I am keeping my finger crossed for you and for me too. I do have one too and has a few fruits on it. Like you, I hope they will hold and ripen. Last year the fruits did not hold. Lots of fingers crossed here:-)

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:22AM
karyn1(7a)

Yours looks wonderful!!!!! It looks like you will have some ripe babaco fruit in a couple months. Let me know how it tastes. I've never tried one. The only place you can find them for sale is CA. I wonder why they aren't more readily available? There's plenty of fruit that is sold outside of it's optimim climate.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 6:46AM
eloise_ca

Karyn, I am thrilled that your babaco papaya is setting fruit for you, and so quickly!!!!! I am excited now after seeing your tree and also Pat's. I have two that I got at a CRFG's meeting. They apparently were easy to root for whoever brought them to the meeting. It's super hot here too.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 10:19AM
tommysmommy(Colorado)

Oh boo, I miss my papaya trees! I lived in the Tampa Bay area and had papaya trees that had both male and female flowers on the same plant, and they produced so well! Fun to see yours!

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 11:36AM
chena(z8 Texas)

Congrats to both of ya'll!!!!! That is really cool!!!

Kylie

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:54PM
karyn1(7a)

They are easy to root. You are supposed to keep them at a single stem so I've trimmed it back before and rooted the cutting.

Papayas are one of the easiest tropical fruits that I can grow here. The babacos are a bit more finicky about temps.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:59PM
figara(Ca 9)

I bought mine a year ago and was the first time I saw it around here. There were 2 and I am sorry I did not bought both of them. I bought it more because I liked the leaves. Now I am excited that it has fruits and are holding.

Karyn I'll let you know if they will ripe.

Pat

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Brugmansia cuttings
Hi I am trying to see if anyone has brugmansia cuttings...
marcie_new
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
Cuttings for postage 2nd year
I have been under the weather this year and finally...
rednofl
How many cuttings in one pot?
I have 12 cuttings in water that have lengthy roots...
bdw75
Chocolate Brug
Gm, This is Eddie. Can you please email me at Eddie.Stiltner@my.lr.edu I...
eddiedewayne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™