Best gardening areas in NC

kioria(z7 NC)January 22, 2009

We're thinking of relocating from Wayne County NC to somewhere a bit more metropolitan, and I was wondering what the soils are like in different areas of the state.

Our soil here is fairly sandy but easily enriched and worms come readily, BUT it is also shot through with brambles, so that any time we clear an area the brambles just come and take over unless we are ever-vigilant.

I know the general geological areas that we're taught in school and can find in a google search, but more detailed things are harder to find. For example, Wake County is in the edge of the Piedmont but I'm sure the clay content there isn't as high as I know it is in the Greensboro area, since I was just on a trip there.

So I was wondering what the NC gardeners here would have to say from experience about their gardening areas and what the best ones would be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
m_taggart(7b)

You can get a good idea of the soils found in any area by using the web soil survey. If you're looking for more anecdotal advice, I can't help too much. I will tell you, though, that the soil texture will largely be controlled by the parent material. Some areas, like the triassic basin between Chapel Hill and Raleigh, you'll want to avoid. It's loaded with expansive 2:1 clay and would pose quite a challenge. You can use the web soil survey to find what soil series are dominant in a given area and then find descriptions of those series. Very useful and free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Web Soil Survey

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™