Which Avocado?

tripbargainsAugust 4, 2008

I just moved to a new home in San Juan Capistrano in OC about a mile from the ocean. I love avocados and want to plant at least one tree. I need to make a choice between 3 different kinds but I am so confused! I don't want a tree that is going to become so huge that I have to spend a lot of time pruning. Which one would you choose?

Reed or Haas or Dwarf Holiday? How tall & wide does each tree grow?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mikey(SoCal-Z10-22/23)

I live in north Orange County. I too was concerned about size so I planted a Gwen avocado about 12 years ago. Gwen is a semi-dwarf variety that has topped out at about 13-15' high. I keep the diameter spread to about 7' with minor pruning. Gwen is similar in appearance, taste and texture to Hass, but slightly larger and it remains green when ripe. The tree produces well and last year I had to give some of the fruit away to friends. - Mike

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 4:39PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

In my opinion, Fuerte is the best tasting avocado. Only reason it isn't seen in the stores anymore is that the Haas and its leathery skin make it a better shipper and the fact that Haas bears every year as opposed alternate years as does the Fuerte, but the texture and taste of the Haas simply can't measure up to the Fuerte.

Have never seen avocados (except for the Bacon) larger than the beautiful Fuertes which grew in my backyard in Long Beach. My father had to do the graft several times before it took and he never lived to see the tree bear.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 12:10PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Hass. At least in my yard, the Hass produces. We ripped out the Fuerte after five unproductive years. I don't like Reed, and I have never tried Dwarf Holiday, but I agree with the others that Gwen, Fuerte and Hass are the best tasting avos still in production.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™